Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

error in running deep time simulation

xjliu@uw_edu

Hi,  I have been trying to do a deep time experiment in which both North American and South American continents are shifted eastward. I prepared the atmosphere boundary topography data, land surface data, ocean domain file, land domain file and mapping data following the instruction of the paleosource documentation, but the model crashed at time step 0. Could anyone give any help?   Here is how I did the experiment: 
case description: Component set Description: CAM: CLM: SROF: SICE: DOCN: SGLC: SWAV: pre-industrial: cam5 physics: clm4.0 physics: clm4.0 Satellite phenology: docn slab ocean mode:Grid: a%1.9x2.5_l%1.9x2.5_oi%gx1v6_r%r05_m%gx1v6_g%null_w%null (1.9x2.5_gx1v6) bnd_topo: 
  • Starting from topography data topodata_10min_USGS_071205.nc, shift the continents using my own python script
    run definesurf with Ross Ice Shelf turned OFF (-r option) by calling gene_topo.sh Add SGH30 by calling add_SGH30_paleo.ncl
 fsurf_dat:  
  • starting from the mksrf files, shift the continents eastward using my own python scriptmkmapgrid: Create a SCRIP grids by running ncl mkscripgrid_paleo.ncl
    mkmapdata: by running bsub < regridbatch.sh mksurfdata: by running ./mksurfdata_map < mksurfdata_map.namelist  (I modified pftdyn_hist_simyr1850-2005.txt to included only year 1850 before generating the surfdata)
land/ocean domain files and mapping files:
  • changing the kmt file topography_20090204.ieeei4 with my own python scriptCreate SCRIP grid file using mk_SCRIPTgrid.cshgenerate the mapping files using gen_cesm_maps.shgenerate the domain files using gen_domain
Error: NetCDF: Numeric conversion not representable   1: pio_support::pio_die:: myrank=          -1 : ERROR:   1: pionfwrite_mod::write_nfdarray_double:         246 :
Debugging I have tried
  1. checked the latitude matching between land domain, atmosphere initial file and land surface data. The latitude is from -90 to 90 for all. 
  2. ran scrip_test (by the way, the PaleoTookit package in GitHub missing the scrip_test_in file). Mapping file has an error in the order of 1e-3. 
  3. wrote instantaneous history files for cam and clm. Dclm stopped after timestep 1; cam stopped after timestep 0. 
  4. set info_debug = 3 in env_run.xml; didn't help. 
  5. turned on debugging; didn't help. 
  6. changed the source code to write extra output; didn't help. 

xjliu@uw_edu

Update: I checked the bnd_topo data and surfdata using np.sum(isnan(var)). There is no missing value in the files. Any thought where the error might be from?

xjliu@uw_edu

Update: I checked the bnd_topo data and surfdata using np.sum(isnan(var)). There is no missing value in the files. Any thought where the error might be from?

xjliu@uw_edu