Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

ERROR: Need to provide valid mapping file between glc and lnd in xml variable glc2lnd_smapname

dayon

Dear scientists of NCAR

I generated a surface dataset with 1Deg x 1 Deg by using the tool in the CESM2.1.3., and I ran the case with the compsets "I2000Clm45Sp". However, when I built the case, it failed. The error warning are listed as follows.

Building case in directory /home/dayon/cesm2_1_3/cime/scripts/CLM45Sp_res1D_CTRL
sharedlib_only is False
model_only is False
Setting resource.RLIMIT_STACK to -1 from (8388608, -1)
Generating component namelists as part of build
Creating component namelists
Calling /home/dayon/cesm2_1_3/cime/src/components/data_comps/datm/cime_config/buildnml
Calling /home/dayon/cesm2_1_3/components/clm//cime_config/buildnml
WARNING: CLM is starting up from a cold state
Calling /home/dayon/cesm2_1_3/cime/src/components/stub_comps/sice/cime_config/buildnml
Calling /home/dayon/cesm2_1_3/cime/src/components/stub_comps/socn/cime_config/buildnml
Calling /home/dayon/cesm2_1_3/components/rtm//cime_config/buildnml
Running /home/dayon/cesm2_1_3/components/cism//cime_config/buildnml
Calling /home/dayon/cesm2_1_3/cime/src/components/stub_comps/swav/cime_config/buildnml
Calling /home/dayon/cesm2_1_3/cime/src/components/stub_comps/sesp/cime_config/buildnml
Calling /home/dayon/cesm2_1_3/cime/src/drivers/mct/cime_config/buildnml
ERROR: Need to provide valid mapping file between glc and lnd in xml variable glc2lnd_smapname

Could you give me suggestion about how to get the "valid mapping file between glc and lnd"?
Thank you very much. Best wishes.

erik

Erik Kluzek
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
OK, the first question you need to ask is if you really want to run the full glacier ice model for your configuration? If you don't really care about land ice, you could swap it out for the stub glacier ice model and not have to provide these maps. That would just mean changing the compset name for one without land-ice or using the long compset name to put together one without CISM (the land ice model).

If you do want to run glacier land ice, they'll be some work at creating these mapping files, and we can help guide you through that. But, I only suggest that if you really have some interest or need to run the full glacier land ice model.

erik

Erik Kluzek
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
By the way, you'll likely need to ask the same question about the river model. You'll need mapping files for it as well, unless you don't care about modelling river flow.

dayon

Hi, erik. Your reply is appreciated. I do want to run the glacier land ice, how can I generate the mapping files? Could you give me some suggestion?

Thanks in advance.