Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

ERROR: RUN FAIL

xcj

xcj
After calling ./case.submit, I get the following error: ERROR: RUN FAIL: Command 'mpirun -np 40 mycase/bld/cesm.exe >> cesm.log.$LID 2>&1 ' failed

I have attached the log file with the error.

Any ideas what caused this error?

Thanks.

Attachments

• cesm.log.20363854.210531-170215.txt
    12.1 KB · Views: 20

katec

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
The log file you attached shows the error "m_GlobalSegMap::initp_: non-positive value of ngseg error, stat =0" which is associated with grid problems or issues mapping between components on start up for the model. I would need more information to help give you any more specific advice. Can you send information on the version of CESM you are running, the compset, grid resolutions, and machine being used here?

xcj

xcj
Thanks for your response. I have been using CESM2.1.3 and --compset B1850 --res f19_g17.

katec

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Was this on Cheyenne? Did you make any modifications? If you did run on Cheyenne, can you send a path to your case directory?

xcj

xcj
I ran it on a Canadian machine. I tried running ./check_input_data --download and it seems that I have all the input data so it doesn't seem to be that, although it does seem to be related to missing or corrupt data?

katec

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Hmm, this is an error before the model gets to the usual input data section. But, grid and mapping files could be missing or corrupt. I'm going to move this thread over to the porting forum because it sounds like this is a problem with the way the model is running on your particular cluster.

jedwards

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
What compiler and version are you using? What is your environment stack size limit?

xcj

xcj
I am wondering if the download of the input files was not successful. I tried ./check_input_data --download before building and that didn't help. I then tried ./check_input_data --chksum and I got the following error. For some reason it says I can't connect to the ftp even though I can on the website and I know that ftp works on my server. Could my error to related to this issue?

Could not connect to repo 'ftp://ftp.cgd.ucar.edu/cesm/inputdata'

This is most likely either a proxy, or network issue .

Trying to download file: '../inputdata_checksum.dat' to path '/scratch/itan/cesm2_1_3/cesm2_test/run/inputdata_checksum.dat.raw' using NoneType protocol.

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "./check_input_data", line 76, in <module>

_main_func(__doc__)

File "./check_input_data", line 71, in _main_func

chksum=chksum) else 1)

File "/lustre03/project/6061894/itan/my_cesm_sandbox/cime/scripts/Tools/../../scripts/lib/CIME/case/check_input_data.py", line 157, in check_all_input_data

_download_checksum_file(self.get_value("RUNDIR"))

File "/lustre03/project/6061894/itan/my_cesm_sandbox/cime/scripts/Tools/../../scripts/lib/CIME/case/check_input_data.py", line 54, in _download_checksum_file

success = server.getfile(rel_path, new_file)

AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'getfile'