Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Error while computing MOC using partial bottom cells

Hello,  I am running POP model with the resolution of tx0.1v2.  Before compiling, I turned on the request to compute MOC and heat transpport. I got this error message saying "(init_lat_aux_grid): if (partial_bottom_cells), then 1st modify  subroutines compute_moc and compute_tracer_transports". I suppose I need to do some modification to these two subroutines to get the model running. I'm wondering what changes I need to make, or if there's any documentation on this issue. Thanks,Hui

njn01

The two subroutines, compute_moc and compute_tracer_transports, both reference the one-dimensional thickness variable, "dz".  If you are using partial bottom cells, these computations are incorrect.I do not know of any specific transport diagnostics documention related to the partial bottom cells, other than the error-checking comment you quoted. If you want to modify the code yourself, I think you could follow examples elsewhere in the model and add partial bottom-cell conditionals around the dz references and add computations which use the 3-D thickness variables (DZU,DZT) instead.

Thank you very much for the replies.I refered to the POP reference manual, and it looks like there are lot of complicated changes involved for the partial botoom cell conditions. In order to calculate MOC, it looks like I can either keep using the partial bottom cells and make all the modifications in the source code, or I can just turn off the partial bottom grid option to live an easier life...I noticed that the partial botom cell is turned on by default only in the tx0.1v2 resolution. I'm wondering if there's significant improvement in the representation of MOC with the partial bottom cell that makes it worthwhile to make all the modifications.  Thanks,Hui