Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Error while running case.submit-- mpiexec does not support recursive calls

aatreyee_iirs

Aatreyee Nath
Hello everyone,
I was recently able to port CESM using an example for the compset QPC4. Currently, I was working on another example for the compset I1850Clm50Sp and I had run the following
./create_newcase --case ~/clm_tutorial_cases/I1850CLM50_004 --res f19_g17 --compset I1850Clm50Sp --machine ubuntuvmfed
./case.setup
./case.build
./case.submit

The model build had finished successfully and all the missing data was also downloaded. But after running ./case.submit, I am getting the following in the log

mpiexec does not support recursive calls

mpiexec does not support recursive calls

[ubuntuvmfed:15606] PMIX ERROR: ERROR in file ../../../../../../src/mca/common/dstore/dstore_base.c at line 1709
[ubuntuvmfed:15610] PMIX ERROR: ERROR in file ../../../../../../src/mca/common/dstore/dstore_base.c at line 1709
[ubuntuvmfed:15606] PMIX ERROR: ERROR in file ../../../../../../src/mca/common/dstore/dstore_base.c at line 1709
[ubuntuvmfed:15610] PMIX ERROR: ERROR in file ../../../../../../src/mca/common/dstore/dstore_base.c at line 1709

What might be wrong here? I have been using OpenMPI. And I did not come across this error when I was running the other compset QPC4. Could this be an error with OpenMPI installation or does it mean that I have to run this only in an HPC cluster?
The details of my system
Ubuntu 22.04​
OpenMPI 4.1.2​
gcc 11​
zlib 1.2.13​
hdf5 1_10_5​
netcdf-c 4.9.0​
netcdf-fortran 4.6.0​
pnetcdf 1.12.3​
lapack and blas 3..9.0​

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

jedwards

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
This is not an error that I recognize - you might check to see if the number of tasks in your I case
is the same as the number of tasks in your QPC4 case. You might also run the command
./preview_run in both cases and compare the results.