Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

failed to convert GOTPCREL relocation; relink with --no-relax

Hi,I get the following error message for CLM5.0 compilation with Intel compilers, during the final cesm bld ..ld: failed to convert GOTPCREL relocation; relink with --no-relaxThe above error message follows after multiple warning messages (e.g., ../clm5.0/cime/src/drivers/mct/main/cime_comp_mod.F90:2112:(.text+0x614): relocation truncated to fit: R_X86_64_32S against symbol `cime_comp_mod_mp_begstep_' defined in COMMON section in cime_comp_mod.o) As a trial, I simply added the --no-relax flag in the LDFLAGS (config_compilers.xml), but this also did not help ...I get the following warning message and again the above error message later:ifort: command line warning #10006: ignoring unknown option '-fno-relax'               ....  ld: failed to convert GOTPCREL relocation; relink with --no-relax Any suggestions?Best Regards,Prabhakar  

Hi, Seems like found a solution to fix the compilation ...Adding of "-Wl,--no-relax" in LDFLAGS does not solve this problem, but "-mcmodel medium" in FFLAGS fixes this issue, after searching for "Relocation truncated to fit" in google search engine, it comes up with this link which was helpful to solve the issue "https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-fortran-compiler-for-linux-and-mac-os-x/topic/268394"Best Regards,Prabhakar 

Hi, I had the same issue. While trying "-mcmodel=medium" in FFLAGS, I got another error msg ifort: command line error: '-static' conflicts with '-mcmodel'
Does anyone know the reason? Simply add "--no-relax" does not work either with the ":ifort: command line warning #10006: ignoring unknown option '-fno-relax' " error as Prabhakar described. Thanks!

Well, the '-static' conflicts with '-mcmodel' seems to be solved by adding <env name="CRAYPE_LINK_TYPE">dynamic</env> in the config_machines.xml, after searching from Google. But I got the other error msg of

cesm_comp_mod.o: in function `cesm_comp_mod_mp_cesm_run_':
cesm_comp_mod.F90:(.text+0x3c): relocation truncated to fit: R_X86_64_32 against symbol `cesm_comp_mod_mp_infodata_' defined in COMMON section in cesm_comp_mod.o
cesm_comp_mod.F90:(.text+0x58e): relocation truncated to fit: R_X86_64_32S against symbol `cesm_comp_mod_mp_begstep_' defined in COMMON section in cesm_comp_mod.o
cesm_comp_mod.F90:(.text+0x5c8): relocation truncated to fit: R_X86_64_32S against symbol `cesm_comp_mod_mp_dtime_' defined in COMMON section in cesm_comp_mod.o
cesm_comp_mod.F90:(.text+0x601): relocation truncated to fit: R_X86_64_32S against symbol `cesm_comp_mod_mp_calendar_' defined in COMMON section in cesm_comp_mod.o
cesm_comp_mod.F90:(.text+0x64b): relocation truncated to fit: R_X86_64_PC32 against symbol `cesm_comp_mod_mp_dtime_' defined in COMMON section in cesm_comp_mod.o
cesm_comp_mod.F90:(.text+0x660): relocation truncated to fit: R_X86_64_PC32 against symbol `cesm_comp_mod_mp_cktime_acc_' defined in COMMON section in cesm_comp_mod.o
cesm_comp_mod.F90:(.text+0x668): relocation truncated to fit: R_X86_64_PC32 against symbol `cesm_comp_mod_mp_cktime_acc_' defined in COMMON section in cesm_comp_mod.o
cesm_comp_mod.F90:(.text+0x67e): relocation truncated to fit: R_X86_64_PC32 against symbol `cesm_comp_mod_mp_cktime_acc_' defined in COMMON section in cesm_comp_mod.o
cesm_comp_mod.F90:(.text+0x686): relocation truncated to fit: R_X86_64_PC32 against symbol `cesm_comp_mod_mp_cktime_acc_' defined in COMMON section in cesm_comp_mod.o
cesm_comp_mod.F90:(.text+0x68e): relocation truncated to fit: R_X86_64_PC32 against symbol `cesm_comp_mod_mp_cktime_cnt_' defined in COMMON section in cesm_comp_mod.o
cesm_comp_mod.F90:(.text+0x694): additional relocation overflows omitted from the output

I'm trying to build cesm1_5_5 on NERSC Cori haswell. I noticed there are some posts with this error msg was fixed by updating pio, but I still see this error msg even after I did that.

Thanks!