Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

FAQ: Data ocean slab mode (DOCN-SOM)

dbailey

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
That is very strange. I guess the path is somehow being overridden ... I'll see if this is still a problem in CESM2+ ...

tresamt

Tresa Mary
Hi Dave,

I'd like to run a F1850C5 compset with SST/ICEFRAC boundary conditions derived from the climatology of a E1850C5CN compset run. I am running CESM 1.1.2. My questions are:

1) Is there an example boundary condition file available in the online repository I can look at to help me create my own?
2) Do I need to do the 'diddling' procedure using 'icesst tools' mentioned in other threads (e.g. here)? Or is this just for using observations as boundary conditions?
3) How do I point the model to the boundary condition file I created?
4) What type of run should I do, start-up, branch or hybrid ? The simulation will go from slab-ocean to fixed sst so not sure what is recommended here.
5) Is there a way to make an F1850C5CN type compset by running F1850C5 and adding a flag for 'CN' ?
6) Is it possible to do a similar F compset using boundary conditions derived from the climatology of a QSC5 compset run? (Here i'd be using another version of the model cesm 2.1.0)

Thanks for your help,
Etienne

Im also curious about this. Where can I get details about the same?

tresamt

Tresa Mary
Im also curious about this. Where can I get details about the same?

I have some specific questions too:

The SST input file for F-compset contains only SST and ice_cov as variables. The resolution being that of CAM too.

Since, CAM has monthly outputs of SST and ice_cov, can the monthly average of these variables be used as boundary conditions for F-compset (after linearly interpolating for the mid-of-month, to match with the time dimension)?

dbailey

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I have some specific questions too:

The SST input file for F-compset contains only SST and ice_cov as variables. The resolution being that of CAM too.

Since, CAM has monthly outputs of SST and ice_cov, can the monthly average of these variables be used as boundary conditions for F-compset (after linearly interpolating for the mid-of-month, to match with the time dimension)?

I'm confused here. Are you saying you want to use SST and ice_cov from an existing compset run? This particular forum is about the DOCN-SOM mode or E compsets.

tresamt

Tresa Mary
I'm confused here. Are you saying you want to use SST and ice_cov from an existing compset run? This particular forum is about the DOCN-SOM mode or E compsets.
Yes, I have a E-compset run and I want to use the SST and ice_cov from that run to make a F-compset run.

dbailey

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Hi Dave,

I'd like to run a F1850C5 compset with SST/ICEFRAC boundary conditions derived from the climatology of a E1850C5CN compset run. I am running CESM 1.1.2. My questions are:

1) Is there an example boundary condition file available in the online repository I can look at to help me create my own?
2) Do I need to do the 'diddling' procedure using 'icesst tools' mentioned in other threads (e.g. here)? Or is this just for using observations as boundary conditions?
3) How do I point the model to the boundary condition file I created?
4) What type of run should I do, start-up, branch or hybrid ? The simulation will go from slab-ocean to fixed sst so not sure what is recommended here.
5) Is there a way to make an F1850C5CN type compset by running F1850C5 and adding a flag for 'CN' ?
6) Is it possible to do a similar F compset using boundary conditions derived from the climatology of a QSC5 compset run? (Here i'd be using another version of the model cesm 2.1.0)

Thanks for your help,
Etienne
Did you ever get a reply to this. @hannay can you help with this one?

dbailey

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Yes, I have a E-compset run and I want to use the SST and ice_cov from that run to make a F-compset run.
The trick here is that SST from CAM is not right under the sea ice. This will be the surface temperature on top of the sea ice. You can trick it by setting any temperature below -1.8C to be -1.8C. Then it should be fine.

tresamt

Tresa Mary
The trick here is that SST from CAM is not right under the sea ice. This will be the surface temperature on top of the sea ice. You can trick it by setting any temperature below -1.8C to be -1.8C. Then it should be fine.

What if I use the SST data of ice component?

dbailey

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
This is possible, but a bit more complex. SST is not a default variable that is output from the sea ice and it is on a different grid (gx1 Greenland dipole grid) from the atmosphere. So, it needs to be remapped. One can use the ESMF remapping tools for this purpose.

tresamt

Tresa Mary
This is possible, but a bit more complex. SST is not a default variable that is output from the sea ice and it is on a different grid (gx1 Greenland dipole grid) from the atmosphere. So, it needs to be remapped. One can use the ESMF remapping tools for this purpose.

But for the Fcompset with f19_g16 resolution, wont the input files of SST and AICE be in gx1v6 itself? So can't the output of ice component SST and AICE of E-compset f19_g16 be used for creating the input file for F, f19_g16?

dbailey

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
You could do that. Typically we run the sea ice and data ocean at the same resolution as the atmosphere f19_f19 say in the F compset.

tresamt

Tresa Mary
You could do that. Typically we run the sea ice and data ocean at the same resolution as the atmosphere f19_f19 say in the F compset.
I have E-compset runs at f19_g16, so was planning to run the F-compset also at the same resolution. So do you think the outputs of ICE component of E-compset corrected for time (middle of month, rather than end) be used for running the F-comspet?

Is there any special reason why f19_f19 is used for F-compset?

Thankyou for the prompt replies

dbailey

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
This goes back to the original standalone CAM where everything had to be on the same grid. f19_g16 should work ... hopefully the mapping files and everything will be setup correctly.

tresamt

Tresa Mary
This goes back to the original standalone CAM where everything had to be on the same grid. f19_g16 should work ... hopefully the mapping files and everything will be setup correctly.

Hi Dave,
I created the input files for F-compset f19_g16 from E-compset. Wanted to know whether I should start the F-compset case as a start-up case or hybrid/branch? I feel it should be start-up with SST forcing provided by the new files created. But wanted to get your opinion.
Thank you.

tresamt

Tresa Mary
It should definitely be a hybrid.

Hi Dave,
As suggested, I used SST and AICE from the ice-component of an E-compset run (last 50 years average values taken from a 100year run). I regridded from f19_g16 to f19_f19 and also applied the corrections suggested in the ncl program: ncl scripts to create SST/ICE data files to drive an F compset using B compset history files.

I made a copy of the input file of F1850- f19_f19: SSTICE_DATA_FILENAME and replaced the SST and AICE variables with the regridded values obtained from above step. Then started a hybrid run of F1850- f19_f19 from a E1850-f19_g16 run. The CO2 concentration is 450ppm in both E and F case.

The run is successful, but the radiative imbalance at TOA for the F case is high (around 2W/m2) while the same for E case was around zero.

I'm diagnosing the reasons for the same from output files. Wanted to confirm something. Since I created a single year data (averaging over 50 years), I did not make any changes to the following :

<!--"The model year that corresponds to SSTICE_YEAR_START on the data file. (integer) " -->
<entry id="SSTICE_YEAR_ALIGN" value="1" />

<!--"The first year of data to use from SSTICE_DATA_FILENAME. (integer) " -->
<entry id="SSTICE_YEAR_START" value="0" />

<!--"The last year of data to use from SSTICE_DATA_FILENAME. (integer) " -->
<entry id="SSTICE_YEAR_END" value="0" />

Do you think, that might be an issue? Do you feel anything else might have caused the high imbalance?

dbailey

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
This is much more of a science question. The tunings used in the F compset will not necessarily work in the E compset. I will let @hannay chime in here.