Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

FAQ: Data ocean slab mode (DOCN-SOM)

T_ying

Tong Ying
Hi, Dave I didn't run the atmospheric diagnostics package. Are there some other ways to find where is wrong in my simulation ? When I run CAM4 with prescribed climatological SST (10 years simulation), I also have the same problem that atmosperic energy balance (FSNT-FLNT) is not close to zero ,which is about -26 W/m2.
Hi, I've also met this question that the energey balance (FSNT-FLNT) is about -26 W/m^2, and to whom it may concern, this problem mainly came from the differences of grid box area at different latitude when calculating the global average. If the global average is calculated without the weight of grid boxes' area, then the global average balance is about -26, but weighted with the cosine of latitude the global average is about zero.

dbailey

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Hi!

I'm trying to run CESM2 with the following compset: 2000_CAM60_SLND_CICE_DOCN%SOMAQP_SROF_SGLC_SWAV, which is unsupported. It is hoped to be an aquaplanet slab ocean mode with sea ice. However, I found that there was only cam output without cice output (history files, log files, restart files). It seems that I did not turn on the sea ice component successfully. I made no changes in user_nl_cice file. I'm wondering how can I solve this problem.

Thank you so much!

Best,
Rose
I think the people who work on the aquaplanet are better suited to reply here. I believe the default configuration for the aquaplanet is not to have sea ice.

T_ying

Tong Ying
Hi all~
I've made a comparison between CESM1.2.2 and 2.1.2 with similar compset: 2000_CAM40_CLM40%SP_CICE_DOCN%SOM_RTM_SGLC_SWAV. The recomended 150217 som forcing file is used in both cases, and other forcing including GHG and aerosols are the same. The case with CESM1.2.2 (named as E2000_test) seems to reach its equilibrium in 10 years and keep stable in the following decades, while the CESM2.1.2 run (named as E2000_cam4_clm40_test) keeps cooling in its first 30 years. I have no idea whether the CESM2.1.2 run would reach its equilibrium if it continues, or it would keep cooling as mentioned before in many other CESM2 cases. I've also checked the global mean energy balance at the model top FSNT-FLNT, and in the CESM1.2.2 case it reaches around 0 in about 10 years, while in the CESM2.1.2 case it keeps about -0.5W/m^2 until it reaches a turning point and then the energy imbalance increases and the surface temperature cools faster. The time series of global mean surface temperature and net flux at model top are shown as the following figures. Do you guys have any ideas why there is an energy imbalance in the CESM2.1.2 run? Thanks~
ts_global_mean_time_series_0001-0070_E2000_test.pngfnt_global_mean_time_series_0001-0070_E2000_test.pngts_global_mean_time_series_0001-0030_E2000_cam4_clm40_test.pngfnt_global_mean_time_series_0001-0030_E2000_cam4_clm40_test.png

T_ying

Tong Ying
Hi all~
I've made a comparison between CESM1.2.2 and 2.1.2 with similar compset: 2000_CAM40_CLM40%SP_CICE_DOCN%SOM_RTM_SGLC_SWAV. The recomended 150217 som forcing file is used in both cases, and other forcing including GHG and aerosols are the same. The case with CESM1.2.2 (named as E2000_test) seems to reach its equilibrium in 10 years and keep stable in the following decades, while the CESM2.1.2 run (named as E2000_cam4_clm40_test) keeps cooling in its first 30 years. I have no idea whether the CESM2.1.2 run would reach its equilibrium if it continues, or it would keep cooling as mentioned before in many other CESM2 cases. I've also checked the global mean energy balance at the model top FSNT-FLNT, and in the CESM1.2.2 case it reaches around 0 in about 10 years, while in the CESM2.1.2 case it keeps about -0.5W/m^2 until it reaches a turning point and then the energy imbalance increases and the surface temperature cools faster. The time series of global mean surface temperature and net flux at model top are shown as the following figures. Do you guys have any ideas why there is an energy imbalance in the CESM2.1.2 run? Thanks~
View attachment 3177View attachment 3178View attachment 3179View attachment 3180
By comparing the output of year 10 and the year 30 in the CESM2.1.2 run, I've noticed that there's a great increase of ice area near the south pole, and as shown in the following figure, in July of year 30 almost all the Southern Ocean is coverd by ice. It seems that the ice albedo feedback plays the dominant role in the cooling of the CESM2.1.2 case. How can I avoid this situation and make it equilibrium? Thanks~
aice_in_E2000_cam4_clm40_test.cice.h.0030-07.png

T_ying

Tong Ying
What is ice_ic set to in your run? I'm guessing you used 'default' initialization.
It's a file named 'b.e15.B1850G.f09_g16.pi_control.25.cice.r.0041-01-01-00000.nc', would it be better if I change it into a 2000 file?

T_ying

Tong Ying
What is ice_ic set to in your run? I'm guessing you used 'default' initialization.
The CESM1.2.2 case used the iced.0001-01-01.gx1v6_20080212 file, but it seems that cice4 is no longer supported in CESM2. Is this file suitable for cice5?

T_ying

Tong Ying
Hmm. No, that file should be fine. What is the TOA imbalance in the atmosphere?
The global mean FSNT-FLNT time series is shown as the last figure above. Before 0025 the imbalance is about -0.5W/m^2, and later the imbalance increases.

dbailey

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
That seems very large for an imbalance. I am going to move this over to the simple model forum for some tips there.

Sreerag

Sreerag
Hi,
Do you understand what is the actual issue? If so could you please comment on the same?

Sreerag