Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

FAREA_BURNED calculation

Hi,When the fire module is turned on in clm4.5, the history file contains a variable called FAREA_BURNED. The long_name is "timestep fractional area burned". Within my monthly history file the cell_methods for FAREA_BURNED says "time: mean".  Because the timestep of the land model is 1800 seconds, do I need to multiply the FAREA_BURNED value by the number of timesteps within a month (1440) to get the total FAREA_BURNED for the month?  Thanks for any help!Chris

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
The fire module is on by default in CLM5 in BGC mode.
For example it is on in this standard compset: I2000Clm50BgcCrop
A description of the CLM5 fire module can be found in the User's Guide:
The version of the fire module that is used in a specific version of CLM (e.g., CLM4.5, CLM5.0) is set by a namelist variable (fire_method).
For CLM5, it is fire_method = 'li2016crufrc'.

MikeYuan

tfYuan
The fire module is on by default in CLM5 in BGC mode.
For example it is on in this standard compset: I2000Clm50BgcCrop
A description of the CLM5 fire module can be found in the User's Guide:
The version of the fire module that is used in a specific version of CLM (e.g., CLM4.5, CLM5.0) is set by a namelist variable (fire_method).
For CLM5, it is fire_method = 'li2016crufrc'.
Thanks for your elaborated explanation. By the way, I wanna ask a question in terms of the namelist variable.
I used the compset I1850Clm50BgcCrop in CLM5, but when I add the variable 'C13_LITHR' in the file of user_nl_clm, it occurred error after I submitted the case. I wonder the cause is the namelist name changed in CLM5?
Looking forward your apply.

Yours sincerely,
Mike

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Can you post the error you are getting?
Is C13_LITHR listed as a valid history field variable anywhere?
Maybe C13_LITTERC_HR is what you are looking for?

MikeYuan

tfYuan
Thanks for your reply.
I am not sure for that it's a valid history field, I just found it on the the table of CLM history field from a website, I am not able to find the CLM5's table of CLM history field. Well, I have to corrcet it, sorry, the variable name I mentioned before is not C13_LITHR, it's C13_LITFIRE. According to the error-mentioned ,the error appeared in the following file. Please help me check it , thank you.

Attachments

• cesm.log.13478.210104-113000.txt
    39.4 KB · Views: 2

MikeYuan

tfYuan
Isotopes can be turned on by setting these in your user_nl_clm:

use_c13 = .true.
use_c14 = .true.

Optional time-varying atmospheric concentrations can be read in from a file by setting:

use_c13_timeseries = .true.
use_c14_bombspike = .true.

More information here:

Oh, I got it. Thank you ,Mr.oleson. It's very appreciate it.
By the way ,now, I am trying to add the mercury element to the CLM5, would you mind coming up with some suggestions about how adding a new element in the CLM5? please.
Thank you

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
There are a number of resources on the CESM2 CLM5 page, including Tutorials, User's Guide, and Technical description, as well as a link to the model design and development guide. Model development is done through github.

Once you have familiarized yourself with this material and the development process, I recommend you post an issue on the CLM5 github issues page describing what you want to do and why. You may not be able to provide details at this point regarding specific subroutines/modules that you will need to modify, but try to include as much information as possible. This will start a conversation with key model developers here at NCAR.

There are a few good recent examples here: