Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

ftp on Derecho

ll859

Hello there!

I previously used ftp on Cheyenne. Now, I attempted to use the FTP command on Derecho, but encountered the following message:

"If 'ftp' is not a typo you can use command-not-found to lookup the package that contains it, like this: cnf ftp"

Upon trying 'cnf ftp' as suggested, I received the following response:

"ftp: searching ...

Warning: no repos found - make sure your repositories are configured. ftp: command not found"

Does anyone know how to use FTP on Derecho?

Many thanks!

strandwg

Staff member
Hello there!

I previously used ftp on Cheyenne. Now, I attempted to use the FTP command on Derecho, but encountered the following message:

"If 'ftp' is not a typo you can use command-not-found to lookup the package that contains it, like this: cnf ftp"

Upon trying 'cnf ftp' as suggested, I received the following response:

"ftp: searching ...

Warning: no repos found - make sure your repositories are configured. ftp: command not found"

Does anyone know how to use FTP on Derecho?

Many thanks!

Try "ncftp" instead. I just did a quick check and it works to log you into an ftp site as 'anonymous'.

ll859

Hello! Thank you for your prompt response! I received a similar response while using "ncftp". Could I be doing something incorrectly?

ncftp

If 'ncftp' is not a typo you can use command-not-found to lookup the package that contains it, like this:

cnf ncftp

module load ncftp (or module --ignore_cache load "ncftp")

Lmod has detected the following error: The following module(s) are unknown: "ncftp"

Appreciate your help!

ll859

Hello!

However, upon entering "which ncftp," I received the following result:

which: no ncftp in (/glade/u/apps/opt/conda/condabin:/glade/u/apps/derecho/23.06/spack/opt/spack/netcdf/4.9.2/oneapi/2023.0.0/iijr/bin:/glade/u/apps/derecho/23.06/spack/opt/spack/hdf5/1.12.2/oneapi/2023.0.0/d6xa/bin:/glade/u/apps/derecho/23.06/spack/opt/spack/ncarcompilers/1.0.0/oneapi/2023.0.0/ec7b/bin/mpi:/opt/cray/pe/pals/1.2.11/bin:/opt/cray/libfabric/1.15.2.0/bin:/opt/cray/pe/mpich/8.1.25/ofi/intel/19.0/bin:/opt/cray/pe/mpich/8.1.25/bin:/glade/u/apps/derecho/23.06/spack/opt/spack/ncarcompilers/1.0.0/oneapi/2023.0.0/ec7b/bin:/glade/u/apps/common/23.04/spack/opt/spack/intel-oneapi-compilers/2023.0.0/compiler/2023.0.0/linux/lib/oclfpga/bin:/glade/u/apps/common/23.04/spack/opt/spack/intel-oneapi-compilers/2023.0.0/compiler/2023.0.0/linux/bin/intel64:/glade/u/apps/common/23.04/spack/opt/spack/intel-oneapi-compilers/2023.0.0/compiler/2023.0.0/linux/bin:/opt/cray/pe/craype/2.7.20/bin:/glade/u/apps/derecho/23.06/opt/utils/bin:/opt/clmgr/sbin:/opt/clmgr/bin:/opt/sgi/sbin:/opt/sgi/bin:/glade/u/home/longei/.local/bin:/opt/c3/bin:/usr/lib/mit/bin:/usr/lib/mit/sbin:/opt/pbs/bin:/glade/u/apps/derecho/23.06/opt/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/opt/cray/pe/bin)

But, I have successfully installed FTP on my local MacBook and used it to download the necessary files I needed.

Thank you all the same!
Longlei