Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Function return parameter requires SSE register while SSE is disabled

Shruti

Shruti Joshi
Hello,

I am trying to execute cesm v2.1.2 with compset B1850 and intel (v19.1.1.217) and facing the below error:

components/cam/src/utils/gauaw_mod.F90(121): catastrophic error: Function return parameter requires SSE register while SSE is disabled.
compilation aborted for components/cam/src/utils/gauaw_mod.F90 (code 1)
make: *** [gauaw_mod.o] Error 1
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
ERROR: Command make complib -j 4 MODEL=cam COMPLIB=cime/projects/scratch/case1B/bld/lib/libatm.a -f cime/scripts/case1B/Tools/Makefile MACFILE=cime/scripts/case1B/Macros.amd USER_CPPDEFS='-DPLON=288 -DPLAT=192 -DPLEV=32 -DPCNST=37 -DPCOLS=16 -DPSUBCOLS=1 -DN_RAD_CNST=30 -DPTRM=1 -DPTRN=1 -DPTRK=1 -DSPMD -DMODAL_AERO -DMODAL_AERO_4MODE -DCLUBB_SGS -DCLUBB_CAM -DNO_LAPACK_ISNAN -DCLUBB_REAL_TYPE=dp -DHAVE_VPRINTF -DHAVE_TIMES -DHAVE_GETTIMEOFDAY -DHAVE_COMM_F2C -DHAVE_NANOTIME -DBIT64 -DHAVE_SLASHPROC' failed with rc=2

Tried adding -msse flag to CFLAGS, error still exists.
I have tried with intel v19.0.5.281, it works fine there.

Could you please suggest any solutions for the same?

jedwards

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
This error indicates that the operating system kernel has disabled the SSE instruction set of your CPU. If this were really the case I would think that the error would also happen with the older intel compiler. Were both these cases compiled on the same node? If the error is repeatable with 19.1 and does not occur with 19.0 I would continue to use the 19.0 compiler and consider opening an issue with intel regarding the error from 19.1. If you can show that the problem is associated with a particular node, then you should report that to your system support team.

Shruti

Shruti Joshi
Hello,

You are right, the systems on which i am checking are different.
Could you please suggest how to enable SSE. I will also check with the internal team regarding the same.