Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

generating SCRIP grid files

Lian Gong

Lian Gong
Hi,
I am trying to create the domain and surface files for a single point in CLM5 CESM2.2.0.,but when generating the SCRIP grid,the following errors occurs:
fatal:Could not open ($NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/contributed.ncl)
fatal:error at line 10 in file /home/zhangli/cesm2.2.0/components/clm/tools/mkmapdata/../mkmapgrids/mkscripgrid.ncl
1675947300569.png

It seems that I should modify the contens of the NCL script (mkscripgrid.ncl )after reference the CLM user's guide?but how should I modify it ?and I am also confused that what is the minimum resolution I can set myself?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I think you would have to ask your system administrators where NCARG_ROOT is on your machine.
On our machines for example it is here:

/glade/u/apps/ch/opt/ncl/6.6.2/intel/19.1.1/

Alternatively, you may want to use some new tools that have been developed to make this process easier. If you clone the latest version of CTSM, you can subset global data for a single point using the subset_data tool found here in the ctsm directory:

tools/site_and_regional/

There is a README file in that directory. You can also run this for help: ./subset_data --help.
If you have questions/problems you can post on this discussion:

Lian Gong

Lian Gong
I think you would have to ask your system administrators where NCARG_ROOT is on your machine.
On our machines for example it is here:

/glade/u/apps/ch/opt/ncl/6.6.2/intel/19.1.1/

Alternatively, you may want to use some new tools that have been developed to make this process easier. If you clone the latest version of CTSM, you can subset global data for a single point using the subset_data tool found here in the ctsm directory:

tools/site_and_regional/

There is a README file in that directory. You can also run this for help: ./subset_data --help.
If you have questions/problems you can post on this discussion:

Thank you so much for your reply! I did install ncl using : sudo apt install ncl-ncarg , but the nco seems to be needed as well? Should I install nco?
and I will also try to clone the latest version of CTSM as you suggested.