Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

glc error overshot time

Go-Un Kim

Go-Un Kim
Hi,

I wanted to restart the two experiments of CESM2.1.3 (with compset "F200climo").

So, I changed the env_run.xml as below.
./xmlchange GET_REFCASE=FALSE
./xmlchange RUN_TYPE=branch
./xmlchange RUN_REFDATE=0053-01-01
./xmlchange RUN_REFCASE=EXP2 -------> case name so, EXP1 or EXP2
./xmlchange STOP_OPTION=nmonths,STOP_N=12,RESUBMIT=49
./xmlchange DOUT_S_SAVE_INTERIM_RESTART_FILES=TRUE
./xmlchange GET_REFCASE=FALSE
./xmlchange CONTINUE_RUN=TRUE

There is no problem in the EXP2 experiment, but, the EXP1 experiment is not running.
I have attached the log files.
I already searched the thread but couldn't solve it. What is the problem?

1)glc.log.2547.ocean00.240409-183001
1712655682431.png

2)cesm.log.2547.ocean00.240409-183001
1712655716664.png

katec

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Hi there,

So restart runs always start EXACTLY from the restart files, including the time and date of the start of the run. If you want to change the date that your run starts, then you only need to create a new branch run. You do not need CONTINUE_RUN=TRUE. In your case, it looks like you changed the RUN_REFDATE and the first component to complain that the run time from the restart file doesn't match your model time set in the run_refdate is CISM.

There are two issues (generally) that cause this error to happen. The first is that CISM does not like to restart at times that are not 00000 (not date boundaries). If this is causing your error, then you can either find a restart that is on a date boundary (time: 00000) or create a case that does not use CISM.

The other reason this error occurs is often when a user is trying to start a new hybrid or branch run but "CONTINUE_RUN" is still set to "TRUE". When this happens, CISM ignores the refdate start date and restarts fully from the restart file, and this often causes the time calculation to be out of line.

Whenever you are starting a new run of any type (Branch or Hybrid), the "CONTINUE_RUN" xml variable MUST BE set to "FALSE" or weird things can happen.