Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

GNU compiler error

Yongzuo123

Yongzuo Li
When I try to run the test case
MOM6-examples/ocean_only/MESO_025_63L
I get the error:
FATAL from PE 13: fms_io(read_data_3d_new), field u in file INPUT/MESO_025_63L_IC.nc: field size mismatch 1
Could this be due to me using NetCDF 4?
We generally use netcdf 4, our netcdf 4 is compiled with the same GNU compiler I'm using. When I compile the FMS and MOM6 I use the option:
(cd build/gnu/shared/repro/; make NETCDF=4 REPRO=1 libfms.a -j)
I tried compiling FMS and MOM6 with netcdf3 but we only have netcdf 4 here at NRL. I get the same error.
Could this be the problem?
If I go back to an old version of netcdf 3, then I would have to use an old compiler, which I know will have problems.
Any ideas?
I am new MOM6 user. I also have error “FATAL from PE 140”. How did you solve this error?
Thank you
Yongzuo

Yongzuo123

Yongzuo Li
Hey, I just impressed myself, if nobody else. Based on Bob Hallberg's instructions, I went into MOM_horizontal_regridding.F90 and added the filename and variable name to the error message! Now I get more information about my error:

FATAL from PE 14: error in INPUT/hycom_type_ts_data_mimi_z100.nc inquiring dimensions for water_temp hinterp_extrap

FATAL from PE 15: error in INPUT/hycom_type_ts_data_mimi_z100.nc inquiring dimensions for water_temp hinterp_extrap

[wyman.code7300.nrlssc.navy.mil:16775] 18 more processes have sent help message help-mpi-api.txt / mpi-abort
[wyman.code7300.nrlssc.navy.mil:16775] Set MCA parameter "orte_base_help_aggregate" to 0 to see all help / error messages

Thanks for your help!
Hi Bob,
Did you solve “FATAL from PE” problem? I have the same problem.
Thanks
Yongzuo

helber

Bob Helber
I am new MOM6 user. I also have error “FATAL from PE 140”. How did you solve this error?
Thank you
Yongzuo
I have not solved my problem. It is perplexing. It keeps complaining about my netcdf files. I even tried the MESO_025_63L test case with the test data sets and still get the problem. I'm using GNU compilers. My best guess is that it is a compiler issue. I'm planning on using a different compiler and different machine. I'll post here when I figure out what the problem is.

helber

Bob Helber
Just tried to run MESO_025_63L on a different machine using intel compilers and get the same error:
FATAL from PE 0: fms_io(read_data_3d_new), field u in file INPUT/MESO_025_63L_IC.nc: field size mismatch 1
Actually, this is not a compiler error. The model compiles just fine. It fails when I try to run a test case with netcdf inputs.

helber

Bob Helber
Just tried to run MESO_025_63L on a different machine using intel compilers and get the same error:
FATAL from PE 0: fms_io(read_data_3d_new), field u in file INPUT/MESO_025_63L_IC.nc: field size mismatch 1
Actually, this is not a compiler error. The model compiles just fine. It fails when I try to run a test case with netcdf inputs.
Just ran test case MESO_025_23L and that runs fine. Neither of the input initial condition netcdf files have unit attributes.
One difference are MESO_025_63L has initial velocities:

float u(Layer, latitude, longitude_q) ;
float v(Layer, latitude_q, longitude) ;
In this case, both q and non-q dimensions in the IC are the same.