Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

got different results when using different processors

Hi all,

I ran E_2000 component (CAM4-CICE_CLM4 with slab ocean model) on the same machine. The 10-year average equilibrium temperature (2xCO2) is about 291.33 K (annual mean) when using 264 processors. But when I used 192 processors it was 291.46 K. Other differences between the two simulations are the values of CICE_MXBLCKS and PE layout. Not sure what happened and why the differences are relatively large (~0.13K). Any help are deeply appreciated!!

dbailey

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
If don't turn on the bit-for-bit flag in the coupler and there is regridding (which there is for the E compset), you will get different answers on different processor counts. This does raise a bigger issue here. The E compset and SOM specifically require that you generate a SOM forcing file. This compset is only intended to run out of the box for testing purposes. This is outlined in the data model documentation:

http://www.cesm.ucar.edu/models/cesm1.0/data8/data8_doc/book1.html

Dave

Thank you very much, Dave!

I notice that the CICE user guide mentioned there is known bug--"CCSM coupler may have incorrect values in grid cells that change from an icefree state to having ice during the given time step, or vice versa, due to scaling by the ice area." Do you think this related to the problem here?

Also, I tried two tests with BFBFLAG on for one year, using 264 and 192 processors, respectively. Monthly output shows that global mean surface temperatures are the same from January-June but has small differences from July-December. What does this mean?