Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

hcru_hcru not recognized

samrabin

Sam Rabin
The following:
./create_newcase --case /glade/u/home/samrabin/cases_ctsm/halfdeg_test --res hcru_hcru --compset IHistClm50BgcCrop --run-unsupported
fails with ERROR: no alias hcru_hcru defined. The same respectively happens for --res 360x720cru. Am I doing something wrong? Is there some other way to set up a half-degree run?

This is with cime6.0.15, and my CTSM branch is up-to-date with ctsm5.1.dev088.

erik

Erik Kluzek
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Yes exactly grid aliases are now required to include the ocean mask in it.

To see a list of valid grids you can use query_config --grids under cime/scripts.

samrabin

Sam Rabin
Hmm, that works to make the case, but then I get the following error on trying to build:
Code:
Create namelist for component clm
   Calling /glade/u/home/samrabin/ctsm/cime_config/buildnml
ERROR: Command /glade/u/home/samrabin/ctsm/bld/build-namelist failed rc=255
out=
err=ERROR : CLM build-namelist::CLMBuildNamelist::add_default() : No default value found for flanduse_timeseries.
            Are defaults provided for this resolution and land mask?

It looks like there are a few different options for 360x720cru versions of those files in lnd/clm2/surfdata_map. Is there a way I can query what I used in a different case?

erik

Erik Kluzek
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Yes, we don't currently have any 360x720cru grids in the default namelist_defaults_ctsm.xml file. There's an issue to add some. If you have a different case you would've had to explicitly add a setting for at least fsurdat in the user_nl_clm file for that case. Here it's asking for flanduse_timeseries, which must for a historical case. There are some of those available that you could use as well, so you'd add that to the user_nl_clm as well.

We did create some 360x720cru datasets for the latest TRENDY simulations, and I think those would the ones I'd most recommend.