Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Help with increasing vertical momentum diffusion?

minminfu

Dear All,

I am interested in increasing the vertical eddy viscosity in CAM5.3 (using diag_TKE) to study Hadley cell dynamics. My goal is to introduce more viscosity, so as to weaken the subtropical jet. The best way I have found so far is through increasing the namelist variable "kv_freetrop_scale", which scales up the free tropospheric eddy diffusivity (in vertical_diffusion.F90). I feel this should be an effective way of increasing vertical momentum diffusion, and I can study the output variables "DUV" and "KVM" to understand how much the zonal velocity is being diffused and what the diffusivity is.

Although the KVM increases linearly with kv_freetrop_scale, as expected, actual momentum diffusion (output variable DUV) appears only very weakly sensitive to kv_freetrop_scale. I have found by default DUV is ~ -0.3 m/s/day near the midlatitude upper troposphere (acting to retard the jet stream). When I increase kvm tenfold, it becomes ~ -0.6, by 100x, ~ -1.3, and by 1000x, -2.3m/s/day.

I am confused why the velocity diffusion is not responding linearly (is it responding logarithmically?) to kv_freetrop_scale. I wonder if I am perhaps missing something simple here. Is anybody able to explain why momentum diffusion is behaving this way, or if there is a better way to achieve the goal I have in mind? Your help is much appreciated!

Minmin Fu