Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

HIST simulation fails to configure in beta06

l_vankampenhout@uu_nl

Leo van Kampenhout
Hi, When configuring (preview_namelists) the following user compset HIST_CAM55_CLM50_CICE_POP2_MOSART_CISM1%NOEVOLVE_SWAV
I get this error: Cannot set both prescribed_volcaero_file and prescribed_strataero_file
ERROR cam.buildnml: /nfs/home1/kampe004/cesm/cesm_tags/cesm1_5_beta06/components/cam/bld/build-namelist  -infile /nfs/home1/kampe004/cesm/my_cases/b.e15b06.BHIST.f09_g16.20thC.trial_hifreq/Buildconf/camconf/namelist  -csmdata /home/kampe004/data -ignore_ic_year -use_case 1850-2005_cam5  -inputdata /nfs/home1/kampe004/cesm/my_cases/b.e15b06.BHIST.f09_g16.20thC.trial_hifreq/Buildconf/cam.input_data_list -ntasks 936 -namelist " &atmexp  /"  failed: 65280
This somehow relates to the fact that I'm using a transient forcing as the preindustrial case 1850_CAM55_CLM50_CICE_POP2_MOSART_CISM1%NOEVOLVE_SWAV configures succesfully. Any clues on how to resolve this one?
Cheers,
Leo

fvitt

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
The problem here is that we don't have a cam build-namelist use case file for the HIST transient senario -- it is usng a cam5 use case 1850-2005_cam5, which sets the prescribed_volcaero_file.  Build-namelist tries to set prescribed_strat_aero file for cam5.5.  One solution is to remove the prescribed_volcaero_file frorm the 1850-2005_cam5.xml file.   Or create an appropriate 1850-2005_cam55 use case file. components/cam/bld/namelist_files/use_cases/1850-2005_cam5.xml 

hannay

Cecile Hannay
AMWG Liaison
Staff member
We don't have all the files to run a transient compset with CAM5.5This is an not tested configuration and if you decide to use it, you shoudl be extremely careful and check everything. 

Liu W

liuwei
The problem here is that we don't have a cam build-namelist use case file for the HIST transient senario -- it is usng a cam5 use case 1850-2005_cam5, which sets the prescribed_volcaero_file. Build-namelist tries to set prescribed_strat_aero file for cam5.5. One solution is to remove the prescribed_volcaero_file frorm the 1850-2005_cam5.xml file. Or create an appropriate 1850-2005_cam55 use case file. components/cam/bld/namelist_files/use_cases/1850-2005_cam5.xml
Hi, fvitt. Following your reply. I created a new use case file (1850_cam6_LW) for my volcanic experiment (with CESM2.2-CAM6) and removed all the prescribed_strataero_file in the new file. But I still got the error information "err=Cannot set both prescribed_volcaero_file and prescribed_strataero_file". Could you give me some suggestions? 1652963274296.png1652963333105.png

cacraig

Cheryl Craig
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Liu - Please post your questions only once. I have redirected your question to the CAM-Chem forum and fvitt or someone else will help you with that posting.

Liu W

liuwei
Liu - Please post your questions only once. I have redirected your question to the CAM-Chem forum and fvitt or someone else will help you with that posting.
I'm sorry, and thanks for your help. I'm not familiar with posting in the forum.