Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

How can I use the "user-created input data"?

Gary

Gary Cui
I'm using the F compset and the f45_g37 resolution in CESM1_2_2.
The sst data from the CESM server is sst_HadOIBl_bc_1x1_clim_c101029.nc, however, I want to use another sst data such as Hadisst.
I know that I need to link my dataset directory to the CESM input data directory by link_dirtree. But how should I modify my sst nc file?
For example, do I need to change the variables name in my data to that in "sst_HadOIBl_bc_1x1_clim_c101029.nc"?
Besides, the spatiotemporal resolution is also different.
What are the rules for using "user-created input data"?
Any help is appreciated.

Gary

Gary Cui
I think I find something. There is a description of input files and variables in $CASEROOT/CaseDoc/docn.streams.txt.prescribed:
Code:
      <dataSource>
         GENERIC
      </dataSource>
      <domainInfo>
         <variableNames>
            time    time
            xc      lon
            yc      lat
            area    area
            mask    mask
         </variableNames>
         <filePath>
            /home/gary/CESM/cesm1_2_2/exe/run/input_data/ocn/docn7
         </filePath>
         <fileNames>
            domain.ocn.1x1.111007.nc
         </fileNames>
      </domainInfo>
      <fieldInfo>
         <variableNames>
            SST_cpl    t
         </variableNames>
         <filePath>
            /home/gary/CESM/cesm1_2_2/exe/run/input_data/atm/cam/sst
         </filePath>
         <fileNames>
            sst_HadOIBl_bc_1x1_clim_c101029.nc
         </fileNames>
         <offset>
         </offset>
      </fieldInfo>
And I think I just need to replace the data in SST_cpl by Hadisst since their grid are the same.
I will update my result after trying that.

dbailey

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
You'll need to copy CaseDocs/docn.streams.txt.prescribed to user_docn.streams.txt.prescribed in the main case directory. Edit the user_ version.

nuvolet

Toni Viudez
Thanks a lot. I noticed the instructions in user_nl_docn and it worked.
Hi,

I would be also interested to create my own input data when I run CESM, in particular I am using edition 2.2.
In what step of creating a new case I should modify the docs.streams.txt.prescribed?
These files can be created for any kind of input we want to modify/customized such as the AOD (aerosol optical depth)?.
Thanks in advance