Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

How do I use CESM to simulate the geography of the Arctic after a change in temperature?

Atomxplosion

Atomxplosion
Hello, I am a high school student and I want to utilize CESM to try to see the geography and topography of the Artic Circle after a 2-degree Celsius increase in temperature due to global warming. However, I am very new to climate modeling and as a result of my lack of technical background it's been fairly difficult to properly understand how to utilize CESM, so I had some questions regarding it.

1. Is there any existing topography or geography that has already been published from simulations as to how the Arctic Circle will change after a 2-degree Celsius increase in temperature? If so where can I access this data?

2. What specific model should I download for my research if there is no existing data already published? The reason I have this question is that I have seen information for CESM, CTSM, and CESM-lab. From my understanding, CESM is not able to produce in-depth results when run on a laptop due to hardware limitations, and CESM-lab was made so that you could run CESM and produce in-depth results on a laptop by using a Jupyter notebook and running CESM on NCAR servers, but the only issue is I don't see any updates on the CESM-lab since 2021. CTSM I believe is supposed to be similar in purpose to CESM-lab but I can't find a way to run it on my laptop since the online tutorial for running it was meant for a workshop. I am sorry for this big block of text, I just wanted to give some context to my understanding of the different models.

3. What is the best way to learn about how to utilize CESM? Online I have seen a variety of different tutorials discussing CESM, however, a majority of these aren't very entry-level to my understanding and I was wondering if there was a specified route to learning how to use CESM and operate it on my laptop.

Thank you, and I apologize for the massive amount of text, I just had a lot of questions

dbailey

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Hi there,

Not sure what you are asking for here, but there have been numerous scientific publications on the Arctic simulation from the CESM. For a good overview paper I would recommend Danabasoglu et al. 2019

We have simulations for the IPCC/CMIP process and then we also have large ensembles. All of these data are available through the ESGF. You would need to sign up for a free account to access the netCDF files.

In terms of the tutorials, all of the materials for the 2022 tutorial are now online. This will provide a detailed series of lectures on the science using the CESM2.

However, you are correct that we have not yet developed a module that would easily run on a laptop. We are in the process of developing a tutorial module for the cloud, but this is not ready yet.

Atomxplosion

Atomxplosion
Thank you so much for the information, it makes a lot more sense now as before I was under the impression that I would have to find a way to run CESM on my own laptop to get the data. I am looking into the existing data sets on the esgf cmip6 data search, and I have two questions regarding it.

1. What is the best download file for each of the datasets, as it shows Globus, HTTP, and WGET, and what are the pros and cons of all three?

2. I tried downloading a WGET script, and it opened up something on my gitbash, but I am unsure how to access the data past that, is there any way to access the data with a WGET script, and if so how do I do it?
Thank you

strandwg

Staff member
Thank you so much for the information, it makes a lot more sense now as before I was under the impression that I would have to find a way to run CESM on my own laptop to get the data. I am looking into the existing data sets on the esgf cmip6 data search, and I have two questions regarding it.

1. What is the best download file for each of the datasets, as it shows Globus, HTTP, and WGET, and what are the pros and cons of all three?

2. I tried downloading a WGET script, and it opened up something on my gitbash, but I am unsure how to access the data past that, is there any way to access the data with a WGET script, and if so how do I do it?
Thank you

1. I recommend you use HTTP to download the data you select. The other methods are designed more for bulk or batch downloads.

2. WGET is just a means to download data, not the data itself. All files from CMIP6 are in netCDF format.