Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

How does soil_moisture_streams work?

kwzhang

kwzhang
Hi,
I designed a experiment (startup run, F2000climo in CESM2) in which the soil moisture is prescribed with a given soil moisture climatology file. To reach this purpose, I set use_soil_moisture_streams = .true. in user_nl_clm. I also set stream_fldfilename_soilm = '/BIGDATA2/fudan_zuozhy_3/cesm2.0/importdata/LFMIP-pdLC-SST.H2OSOI.0.9x1.25.20levsoi.natveg.CtlF2000climo.MONS_climo.c190716.nc'. The detailed settings in user_nl_clm is followed:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
&soil_moisture_streams
soilm_ignore_data_if_missing = .true.
soilm_offset = 0
soilm_tintalgo = 'linear'
stream_fldfilename_soilm = '/BIGDATA2/fudan_zuozhy_3/cesm2.0/importdata/LFMIP-pdLC-SST.H2OSOI.0.9x1.25.20levsoi.natveg.CtlF2000climo.MONS_climo.c190716.nc'
stream_year_first_soilm = 1997
stream_year_last_soilm = 1997
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I first ran the model for 1 year for test, and checked the monthly H2OSOI and SOILWATER_10CM output with the reference data (the given soil moisture clamatology file). However, I find that there is a large positive deviation in SOILWATER_10CM and negative deviation in H2OSOI in all the 12 months (see the fig below). It is so strange.
I think if I set use_soil_moisture_streams = .true., the given soil moisture file will replace the model output at each step. So the monthly H2OSOI output should be same as the reference data in the corresponding months, right? But I now wonder if I got it right?How does soil_moisture_streams work? Maybe I ran the model too short, and the model needs more time to spinup?
截屏2024-08-29 16.25.57.png截屏2024-08-29 16.26.55.png
Thanks and best wishes,
Kaiwen