Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

how to create a case with unsurported High resolution

kaeritai

Hi dear all,
I am very new to CLM or cesm. Now I want run a case with high resolution ,say 0.05 by 0.05 degree, by CLM5.0.

I have investigated the user guide and many posts on this website(Ask about changing surface data in clm5.0) and found that I should use the command sth like this : /create_newcase --res CLM_USRDAT ......
I notice and guess the option of CLM_USRDAT is used to specify my own resolution; but I do not know how can I make sure that it is at 0.05 by 0.05 degree from the above command? Or how to set this?

I have seen that it is necessnary to make the necessnay surface/damain files (Ask about inputdata download). Thus, after creating the case, I can just use my own forcing data and surface data , which are all at 0.05 by 0.05 degree, instead of the default data? DO I have to do other things to make sure it is running at 0.05 by 0.05 degree (such as env_run.xml)?
since I am running at regional scale, I guess that I should make the surface data first by ./getregional_datasets.pl to obtain my regional surfacedatasets. But I guess the current surface data might be not with the same resolution in my case, right? Does it mean that I should make the surface data by myself (mksurfdata.pl)?

hope I have explianed my questions clearly and thank you in advace.

LiwenWu

LiwenWu
Hi dear all,
I am very new to CLM or cesm. Now I want run a case with high resolution ,say 0.05 by 0.05 degree, by CLM5.0.

I have investigated the user guide and many posts on this website(Ask about changing surface data in clm5.0) and found that I should use the command sth like this : /create_newcase --res CLM_USRDAT ......
I notice and guess the option of CLM_USRDAT is used to specify my own resolution; but I do not know how can I make sure that it is at 0.05 by 0.05 degree from the above command? Or how to set this?

I have seen that it is necessnary to make the necessnay surface/damain files (Ask about inputdata download). Thus, after creating the case, I can just use my own forcing data and surface data , which are all at 0.05 by 0.05 degree, instead of the default data? DO I have to do other things to make sure it is running at 0.05 by 0.05 degree (such as env_run.xml)?
since I am running at regional scale, I guess that I should make the surface data first by ./getregional_datasets.pl to obtain my regional surfacedatasets. But I guess the current surface data might be not with the same resolution in my case, right? Does it mean that I should make the surface data by myself (mksurfdata.pl)?

hope I have explianed my questions clearly and thank you in advace.
Hi kaeritai, I have the same confusion, have you figured it out? How did you set this?

Christophe D

Christophe Durand

Thank you for your answer.
However this is quite unclear for new users : every component has its own tools for creating and re-mapping data, but I have not found a clear roadmap for changing the grid for a given case, in my case for switching from f09_09_mg17 to f05_05_g17 (FWHIST compset).
The case creation nor setup do not report an error, and I am left with the following error during the build which does not indicate what files are missing :
out=CAM build-namelist - ERROR: No default value found for ncdata

slevis

I am not a CAM expert, but when you see "no default value found for ..." you may resolve the error by specifying a value for such variable (in this case ncdata) in the namelist (in this case probably user_nl_atm).