Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

How to get extended prescribed SST data

yugong

yugong
Hi everyone, i am using FHIST compset, trying to do simulation in year 2021. However, the default prescribed SST data sst_HadOIBl_bc_0.9x1.25_1850_2017_c180507.nc only has time range from 1850 to 2017.

Is there any way i can download SST of 2021 for initiation? I notice that sst_HadOIBl_bc_0.9x1.25_1850_2017_c180507.nc is produced according to Hurrell et al. [2008]Chapter 3. Input datasets). I tried to download data from Dataset: Merged Hadley-OI sea surface temperature and sea ice concentration data set., but i find the variable is named "Sea surface temperature" , which is different from "BCS Pseudo SST" in sst_HadOIBl_bc_0.9x1.25_1850_2017_c180507.nc

Can anyone tell me how to download or make prescribed SST data of 2021 for F compset?

asphilli

Adam Phillips
CVCWG Liaison
Staff member
Last edited:

yugong

yugong
The datasets provided here: Dataset: Merged Hadley-OI sea surface temperature and sea ice concentration data set are the raw SST/ice datasets. One needs to use (what we call) the diddling software on the datasets to prepare them to be forcings in F-compset simulations. In this case, we have already diddled the datasets. I have copied the data file you are looking for to here:
https://ftp.cgd.ucar.edu/archive/SSTICE/sst_HadOIBl_bc_0.9x1.25_1850_2022_c230628.nc.gz (735MB)
Thanks a lot! Does the "diddling software" refer to /CESM/components/cam/tools/icesst?

asphilli

Adam Phillips
CVCWG Liaison
Staff member
Yes. The diddling software is older and can be hard to run (depending on the system). As that is the case, I thought it best to provide you with the diddled file as we already had it.