Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

How to Locate CTSM Source Code in Cheyenne

Makduma Badhan

Makduma Zahan Badhan
I am trying to run a single-point NEON tower simulation using CTSM-Tutorial-2022 and specifically using Day0d_NEON_fromScratch.ipynb. I have access to Cheyenne but I couldn't locate the CTSM source code in any of the directories in Cheyenne. I tried the ucar jupyter hub and cloned the https://github.com/wwieder/CTSM-Tutorial-2022 but this doesn't contain any (/CTSM/cime/scripts). How can I proceed then? Please help me in this regard.

Makduma Badhan

Makduma Zahan Badhan
Moving this to CTSM forum.
Hi Oleson,
Thanks for your quick response. I could run the CLM in Cheyenne. Now I am trying to run a single-point simulation for Harvard Forest Site (NEON site). I want to see how the changes in temperature and precipitation will affect the other variables (GPP, Nitrogen Deposition, Soil Moisture, etc.) of that NEON Site. For performing this:

1. Do I need to create my own atmospheric/meteorological forcing dataset or is there any script available in the model code where I can do some code modification? (If I am right otherwise correct me)
Say, for example, I want to see how 1 degree Celsius temperature increment in the HARV site will affect the soil moisture.

2. If I want to see a similar effect, but in this case I want to keep my meteorological forcing same as default, I want to change the vegetation type for the site, how can I perform this?

I am a new user of CLM, I read the documentation but didn't find anything I can understand at this point. Your suggestion and guidance will be really helpful.

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member

Makduma Badhan

Makduma Zahan Badhan
(1) You'll need to develop your own scripts to modify the existing atmospheric forcing.
(2) You can change plant functional types (PFTs) in the surface dataset. This is the file pointed to by "fsurdat" in your lnd_in file. The PFTs are defined by the variable PCT_NAT_PFT in that file. The definitions of the PFTs can be found in this table in the technical note:

Hi Oleson,
Thanks. Your info was very helpful. I have some confusion regarding the modification of the PFT. Can you please clear those?
1. I had a look at my "fsurdat" file. I opened it with python and it shows me as follows:
    • PCT_NAT_PFT
      (natpft, lsmlat, lsmlon)
      float64
      array([[[ 0.]],

[[ 0.]],

[[ 0.]],

[[ 0.]],

[[ 0.]],

[[ 0.]],

[[ 0.]],

[[ 0.]],

[[ 0.]],

[[100.]],

[[ 0.]],

[[ 0.]],

[[ 0.]],

[[ 0.]],

[[ 0.]]])
What I understood from this, it indicated PFT (IVT=9),Broadleaf evergreen shrub - temperate is the only dominant plant type in the NEON tower site I simulated (ONAQ). As percent plant functional type on the natural veg landunit (% of landunit) is 100% here. If I want to modify it to C3 arctic grass from the previous case, I need to change the (IVT=12) to 100%. Am I correct?

2. Do I need to change another component variable here?

3. If correct, how can I incorporate my modification in the model simulation next time? Any documentation/discussion forum link or tutorial will be helpful.

Thanks again!

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
1. Yes
2. No, unless you want to change other site characteristics (e.g., soil texture)
3. Point to your new surface dataset using fsurdat in your user_nl_clm in your new case directory. I would recommend watching some of the CESM Tutorial materials, in particular, the namelist and code modifications lecture:

Makduma Badhan

Makduma Zahan Badhan
Hi @oleson,
Thanks again for your help in understanding the model better step by step. I have the following questions for stepping into the next level of my work. I am looking forward to your suggestions:

1. Regarding the modifying of PFT by editing 'fsurdat' data:
I downloaded the default 'fsurfdat' from Cheyenne and opened it in Python as I showed above. I changed the array in the .nc file from Broadleaf evergreen shrub [[100.]] to C3 arctic grass [[100.0]] using python and then uploaded it back to Cheyenne. I pointed the my new surface dataset using fsurdat in my user_nl_clm in my new case directory and ran the simulation. I am wondering if the modifying 'fsurfdat' was in the correct way?

2. I followed https://github.com/wwieder/CTSM-Tut...orials/notebooks/Day0d_NEON_fromScratch.ipynb before. But I can't access it now. Can you please provide me with the right link?

3. By default (I used the tutorial link mentioned in point 2), my simulation stored monthly history files for 2 years (2018-2019). I want to run this case for longer (10 years instead of 2), where should I make the changes? Can you please guide me on this?

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
1) Yes. I assume the model ran and you got the results you expected.
2) I'll ask someone about this.
3) I'm not sure if you can run this longer than 2 years, it would depend on whether atmospheric forcing data is available or whether you want to cycle back on the existing atmospheric forcing. To run for 10 years, ./xmlchange STOP_N=10 (this assumes that STOP_OPTION=nyears already).

wwieder

Will Wieder
Hello, as I wrote in my email, I think the tutorial you were look at before has changed names
CTSM-Tutorial/NEON_cases_fromScratch.ipynb at NEON-singlePoint · NCAR/CTSM-Tutorial

If you clone the NEON-singlePoint branch locally (on cheyenne) you'll have your own working copy of the tutorial to work from and you don't have to worry about us changing things under you.

We can't run NEON cases beyond 2021, the last year when NEON provides input data for us. Soon we'll have data through 2022, and potentially to current day (with ~ 1 month lead time), but this work is still in progress.

We're also developing a tutorial to run with anomaly forcing out to 2100 under SSP scenarios. This tutorial is a work in progress, but you can check back on the CTSM-Tutorial github page for updates.

We'll be offering more tutorial throughout the summer, including at the ESA conference to be held in Portland in Aug.

Finally, in the future, please just write to this bulletin board. I realize you're under a deadline, but it makes more work and confusion for us when you reach out across multiple platforms and emails for help with the same question.

Makduma Badhan

Makduma Zahan Badhan
Hello, as I wrote in my email, I think the tutorial you were look at before has changed names
CTSM-Tutorial/NEON_cases_fromScratch.ipynb at NEON-singlePoint · NCAR/CTSM-Tutorial

If you clone the NEON-singlePoint branch locally (on cheyenne) you'll have your own working copy of the tutorial to work from and you don't have to worry about us changing things under you.

We can't run NEON cases beyond 2021, the last year when NEON provides input data for us. Soon we'll have data through 2022, and potentially to current day (with ~ 1 month lead time), but this work is still in progress.

We're also developing a tutorial to run with anomaly forcing out to 2100 under SSP scenarios. This tutorial is a work in progress, but you can check back on the CTSM-Tutorial github page for updates.

We'll be offering more tutorial throughout the summer, including at the ESA conference to be held in Portland in Aug.

Finally, in the future, please just write to this bulletin board. I realize you're under a deadline, but it makes more work and confusion for us when you reach out across multiple platforms and emails for help with the same question.
Thanks, @wwieder, for your suggestion and help regarding the issue. I will follow this bulletin board for the next steps and at the same time I am really sorry for the inconvenience caused by my multiple times inquires.