Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

How to modify the value of canopy top in CLM5.0?

zqzq

zqzqzqzq
Dear all,

The vegetation type of the underlying surface in my study area is grass,I found that the height of the grass canopy top matched by CLM5.0 is 50cm, which is completely inconsistent with the vegetation characteristics of the underlying surface of my research site. I hope that experts tell me how to modify this content?

erik

Erik Kluzek
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
You can modify a whole list of variables for particular PFT's in the paramsfile. Since, this is specific to CLM I'm moving it to that forum.

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
If you are running in satellite phenology (SP) mode, then you can modify the canopy top height directory in the surface dataset. Look for MONTHLY_HEIGHT_TOP. You may also want to check/modify MONTHLY_HEIGHT_BOT.

zqzq

zqzqzqzq
If you are running in satellite phenology (SP) mode, then you can modify the canopy top height directory in the surface dataset. Look for MONTHLY_HEIGHT_TOP. You may also want to check/modify MONTHLY_HEIGHT_BOT.
Thank you for your reply. Which folder do you mean? As shown in the attached picture.

Attachments

• C)2X0P{]Q[YJ6NPQ7NL0Z$N.png
    C)2X0P{]Q[YJ6NPQ7NL0Z$N.png
    107.8 KB · Views: 7

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
The surface dataset.
The file pointed to by fsurdat in your lnd_in file in your CaseDocs.

The parameter file.
The file pointed to by paramfile in your lnd_in file in your CaseDocs

Ceil

Hi,
I am confused about the canopy height in SP mode. The MONTHLY_HEIGHT_TOP of the following pfts are 0 around globe in surfdata_0.9x1.25_hist_16pfts_Irrig_CMIP6_simyr1850_c190214.nc. Does the SP mode calculate canopy height not using the prescribed values? In addition, can I output canopy height? I did not find HTOP in the simulations.
9 broadleaf_evergreen_shrub
10 broadleaf_deciduous_temperate_shrub
11 broadleaf_deciduous_boreal_shrub
12 c3_arctic_grass
13 c3_non-arctic_grass
14 c4_grass
15 c3_crop
16 c3_irrigated

slevis

1) It should not be necessary to output HTOP in SP simulations because HTOP should be the same as MONTHLY_HEIGHT_TOP.
2) MONTHLY_HEIGHT_TOP = 0 for bare ground.
3) MONTHLY_HEIGHT_TOP > 0 for other pfts, including the ones that you listed. Is it possible that you were rounding down to an integer, so that 0.5 was appearing as 0?