Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

How to realize our volcanic experiments?

GXJ

Ganxinjun
We are planning to run volcanic experiments (such as Tambora or Laki eruption) with interactive stratospheric aerosol formation and transport, which WACCM version would you recommend us to use? Can the WACCM version in CESM 1.2 support our experiments? And how do we add the required volcanic forcing?Thanks a lot!

mmills

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
The only released version of CESM that can do interactive stratospheric aerosols is CESM2(WACCM6). The CMIP6 DECK and historical experiments were run with CESM2(WACCM6) at two horizontal resolutions: 0.95°x1.25° and 1.8°x2.5°. Both of these resolutions are supported in the CESM2.1 release. I recommend using the latest release version of CESM2.1, currently CESM2.1.3.

Volcanic forcing is included in CESM2(WACCM6) as emissions of SO2 via the ext_frc_specifier. For the historical compsets, this includes a series of episodic eruptions. For the piControl 1850 compsets, this is a constant emission representing the average emissions from eruptions over the historical period (1850-2014).

The latest versions of the historical eruption emissions file go back to the year 850CE, so they include Tambora and Laki.

GXJ

Ganxinjun
The only released version of CESM that can do interactive stratospheric aerosols is CESM2(WACCM6). The CMIP6 DECK and historical experiments were run with CESM2(WACCM6) at two horizontal resolutions: 0.95°x1.25° and 1.8°x2.5°. Both of these resolutions are supported in the CESM2.1 release. I recommend using the latest release version of CESM2.1, currently CESM2.1.3.

Volcanic forcing is included in CESM2(WACCM6) as emissions of SO2 via the ext_frc_specifier. For the historical compsets, this includes a series of episodic eruptions. For the piControl 1850 compsets, this is a constant emission representing the average emissions from eruptions over the historical period (1850-2014).

The latest versions of the historical eruption emissions file go back to the year 850CE, so they include Tambora and Laki.
Thanks!!

ohmpawat

ohmpawat chen

Hi, I changed VolcanEESM_SO2 file via the ext_frc_specifier. I changed "VolcanEESMv3.11_SO2_850-2016_Mscale_Zreduc_2deg_c180812.nc" into "VolcanEESMv3.10_piControl_SO2_1850-2014average_2deg_c190220.nc".
Then, I got an error that " ERROR: GETFIL: FAILED to get VolcanEESMv3.10_piControl_SO2_1850-2014average_2deg_c190221.nc". It's strange that my setting is "c190220".
My compset is FCHIST, and I don't know which variable should I change. Could you help me ? Thanks!