Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

How to recreate the CMIP6 historical simulation with CESM2.1.1?

Hello!We want to run a historical simulation with CESM2.1.1 as similar as possible to the one submitted to CMIP6 (we want to perform our own because we will need high-frequency output for specific variables). My first question is which compset to use: BHISTcmip6, BHIST or B1850 (or another one?).I have tried all three but after running ./case.buildI get error messages such as (for BHISTcmip6 and BHIST):create_newcase --case BHIST.f09_g17.test2 --compset BHIST --res f09_g17 --mach fram
cd BHIST.f09_g17.test2
./case.setup
./case.build

Building case in directory /cluster/projects/nn9188k/cesm2.1/cases/nats/BHIST.f09_g17.test2
sharedlib_only is False
model_only is False
Setting resource.RLIMIT_STACK to -1 from (-1, -1)
Generating component namelists as part of build
 - Prestaging REFCASE (/cluster/projects/nn9188k/cesm2.1.1/inputdata/cesm2_init/b.e21.B1850.f09_g17.CMIP6-piControl.001_v3hist/0501-01-01) to /cluster/projects/nn9188k/cesm2.1.1/output/nats/BHIST.f09_g17.test2/run
ERROR: Reference case directory /cluster/projects/nn9188k/cesm2.1.1/inputdata/cesm2_init/b.e21.B1850.f09_g17.CMIP6-piControl.001_v3hist/0501-01-01 does not contain any rpointer files

And for B1850:create_newcase --case B1850.f09_g17.test1 --compset B1850 --res f09_g17 --mach framcd B1850.f09_g17.test1./case.setup./case.build
Building case in directory /cluster/projects/nn9188k/cesm2.1/cases/nats/B1850.f09_g17.test1
sharedlib_only is False
model_only is False
Generating component namelists as part of build
Refcase not found in /cluster/projects/nn9188k/cesm2.1.1/inputdata/cesm2_init/b.e20.B1850.f09_g17.pi_control.all.299_merge_v3/0134-01-01, will attempt to download from inputdata
Checking server ftp://gridanon.cgd.ucar.edu:2811/cesm/inputdata/ with protocol gftp
Client protocol gftp not enabled
Checking server ftp://ftp.cgd.ucar.edu/cesm/inputdata with protocol wget
Using protocol wget with user anonymous and passwd user@example.edu
Loading input file list: 'Buildconf/refcase.input_data_list'
  Model refcase missing file refdir = '/cluster/projects/nn9188k/cesm2.1.1/inputdata/cesm2_init/b.e20.B1850.f09_g17.pi_control.all.299_merge_v3/0134-01-01/'
Trying to download file: 'cesm2_init/b.e20.B1850.f09_g17.pi_control.all.299_merge_v3/0134-01-01' to path '/cluster/projects/nn9188k/cesm2.1.1/inputdata/cesm2_init/b.e20.B1850.f09_g17.pi_control.all.299_merge_v3/0134-01-01' using WGET protocol.
Creating directory /cluster/projects/nn9188k/cesm2.1.1/inputdata/cesm2_init/b.e20.B1850.f09_g17.pi_control.all.299_merge_v3/0134-01-01
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./case.build", line 147, in
    _main_func(__doc__)
  File "./case.build", line 142, in _main_func
    save_build_provenance=save_build_provenance)
  File "/cluster/home/nats/cesm2.1/cime/scripts/Tools/../../scripts/lib/CIME/build.py", line 570, in case_build
    return run_and_log_case_status(functor, "case.build", caseroot=caseroot)
  File "/cluster/home/nats/cesm2.1/cime/scripts/Tools/../../scripts/lib/CIME/utils.py", line 1667, in run_and_log_case_status
    rv = func()
  File "/cluster/home/nats/cesm2.1/cime/scripts/Tools/../../scripts/lib/CIME/build.py", line 569, in
    save_build_provenance)
  File "/cluster/home/nats/cesm2.1/cime/scripts/Tools/../../scripts/lib/CIME/build.py", line 513, in _case_build_impl
    complist, ninst_build, smp_value, model_only, buildlist)
  File "/cluster/home/nats/cesm2.1/cime/scripts/Tools/../../scripts/lib/CIME/build.py", line 204, in _build_checks
    case.create_namelists()
  File "/cluster/home/nats/cesm2.1/cime/scripts/Tools/../../scripts/lib/CIME/case/preview_namelists.py", line 61, in create_namelists
    self.stage_refcase()
  File "/cluster/home/nats/cesm2.1/cime/scripts/Tools/../../scripts/lib/CIME/case/check_input_data.py", line 223, in stage_refcase
    success = _downloadfromserver(self, input_data_root=input_data_root, data_list_dir=data_list_dir)
  File "/cluster/home/nats/cesm2.1/cime/scripts/Tools/../../scripts/lib/CIME/case/check_input_data.py", line 183, in _downloadfromserver
    user=user, passwd=passwd)
  File "/cluster/home/nats/cesm2.1/cime/scripts/Tools/../../scripts/lib/CIME/case/check_input_data.py", line 338, in check_input_data
    isdirectory=isdirectory)
  File "/cluster/home/nats/cesm2.1/cime/scripts/Tools/../../scripts/lib/CIME/case/check_input_data.py", line 122, in _download_if_in_repo
    os.makedirs(full_path+".tmp")
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/os.py", line 157, in makedirs
    mkdir(name, mode)
OSError: [Errno 17] File exists: '/cluster/projects/nn9188k/cesm2.1.1/inputdata/cesm2_init/b.e20.B1850.f09_g17.pi_control.all.299_merge_v3/0134-01-01.tmp'

All the folders on /cluster/projects/nn9188k/cesm2.1.1/inputdata/cesm2_init/ seem to be empty, and I tried the check_input_data command but it returned an error. I am not sure how these folders should be populated?The commands above worked with the X compset, and my colleagues who use l compsets do it like that, it might well be that there are more steps required for the B compset, I tried to find a tutorial but was not successful. Let me know if this had been explained somewhere before. Many thanks in advance for your help,Nathalie  

jedwards

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Make sure that you have write permission to the input directory.   Remove any 0 length files in the directory tree and try again.  The BHISTcmip6 compset is the correct one.  In your case directory you can run ./check_input_data --download to get the refcase you need. 

Thanks for the suggestions, but these were not the problem/didn/t work. Just in case someone has the same issue, we seem to have made it work by manually downloading the missing files from the ucar ftp server...Nathalie

ucas_qs

qiushi Zhang
Make sure that you have write permission to the input directory. Remove any 0 length files in the directory tree and try again. The BHISTcmip6 compset is the correct one. In your case directory you can run ./check_input_data --download to get the refcase you need.
Thanks for the suggestions, but these were not the problem/didn/t work. Just in case someone has the same issue, we seem to have made it work by manually downloading the missing files from the ucar ftp server...Nathalie
Hello, I have the same problem as you. I use. / check_ input_ Data -- download can't download the required file. An error is reported as shown in the figure. How can I solve this problem? Thank you very much.
1600392253966.png

ucas_qs

qiushi Zhang
It could be, please try again.
Hello, I have tried ' ./check_input_data --download ' several times again, but I still can't download it normally. I think it's the network speed of the server. At present, I can only manually download the inputdata. I need to search for the required data one by one on the website and download it, and then create a directory in the server and upload it in turn. For large inputdata, this is very troublesome and complicated. Besides executing ' ./check_input_data --download ' , do you have any other methods to download the inputdata? Thanks a lot.