Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

how to run FHIST historical experiment in 2016-2020

xiaoxiaokuishu

Ru Xu
I think Sam is right but we don't have an SSP compset for an F-case. So you will need to first setup a coupled simulation with the SSP compset that you choose and look at the namelist settings for the atmosphere and the land in ./CaseDocs/atm_in and lnd_in after running ./preview_namelists on that case. You'll need to then set up an FHIST case and copy over all the namelist settings from the coupeld run that are setting the input forcings into user_nl_cam and user_nl_clm in the case directory of your FHIST run. You'll also need to make sure that you're pointing to an SST file that extends beyond 2014. I don't think it'll matter too much which one you use. For the CVCWG simulations that are available here, we used SSP3-7.0
Hi, islas
I have a futher question, if i create a experiment following this method, for example I use ssp585, for 2020-2050, which variable should I check to
demonstrate my simulation is really under a warming climate (as I use ssp585), the TS, TSA from CAM or TBOT from clm?

Best

islas

Hi, islas
I have a futher question, if i create a experiment following this method, for example I use ssp585, for 2020-2050, which variable should I check to
demonstrate my simulation is really under a warming climate (as I use ssp585), the TS, TSA from CAM or TBOT from clm?

Best
I think it's up to you which of these you'd like to use. If you're comparing to the observational record, the most commonly used would be TREFHT which is reference height (2m). That's the closest comparison to observation-based data over land. Then TS is the surface temperature, which would be equal to SST in grid boxes that are entirely covered by ocean. Either TREFHT or TS would give you an indication of whether it's under a warming climate. TBOT from CAM is the temperature at the lowest model level and I would say is less commonly used for assessing temperature change.