Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

How to select landunit types to represent RURAL

Yuan Sun

Yuan Sun
Hi all,

I am calculating landunit level variables where I am not sure how to represent rural areas.

I searched previous talks and found in the 'Calculate urban energy flux from its pft-level output', rural is represented by 'bare soil+veg+crop'.

However, I checked the CLM5 with only veg and crop landunit types. Could I use these two to calculate rural outputs by fraction-weighted veg and crop?

Thanks,
Yuan

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Yes, you could use veg and crop landunits weights/types to calculate rural variables. Bare soil is included as one of the pfts (pft "0"; see Table 2.2.1 in the technical note), so bare soil is included in the average for the vegetated landunit.
There are numerous rural variables in the history output. some of these are not output by default so you would need to request them through your user_nl_clm. They have "_R" at the end of the variable name. E.g., 'TG_R','WBT_R','WBA_R','TSA_R','TREFMXAV_R','TREFMNAV_R','THIP_R','THIC_R','TEQ_R','SWMP80_R','SWMP65_R','SWBGT_R','APPAR_TEMP_R','DISCOIS_R','DISCOI_R','EFLX_LH_TOT_R','EPT_R','FGR_R','FIRA_R','FIRE_R','FSA_R','FSH_R','FSM_R','HIA_R','HUMIDEX_R','QRUNOFF_R','RH2M_R', etc.

Yuan Sun

Yuan Sun
Hi Keith,

Thanks for your suggestions. I found that 'TG_R' only has values when the index landunits are 1 and 2, which indeed refers to vege and crop.

When calculating UHI in TBD, HD and MD, I previously selected landunit level outputs for both urban and rural. But for the rural, I may not need landunit outputs.

I calculate CUHI_tbd = TSA_U (within tbd) - TSA_R

Best,
Yuan