Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

How to turn off CESM history output

maruf2812

Montasir Maruf
I am using CESM 2.1. I want to turn off output files for cice, cpl, pop and ww. I have used hist_empty_htapes = .true. and empty_htapes = .true. but that shows error for ./case.build step. How can I do it?

Also, I want to generate daily ouput for 'TREFHT', 'TREFHTMX', 'PRECC', 'PRECL'. I put these variables list in user_nl_clm but it shows the following error "Variable name hist_fincl1 not found in /glade/u/home/maruf/my_cesm_sandbox_v2/components/cam/bld/namelist_files/namelist_definition.xml".

Here is my user_nl_cam looks like:

! h1 stream (daily average, finest sub-grid)
! Emon, Lmon
hist_mfilt(2) = 30
hist_dov2xy(2) = .false.
hist_nhtfrq(2) = -24
hist_type1d_pertape(2) = ' '
!empty_htapes = .true.
hist_fincl1 = 'TREFHT', 'TREFHTMX', 'PRECC', 'PRECL'

sacks

Bill Sacks
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
For your second question, make sure you are distinguishing between CAM and CLM. The snippet you're showing looks like it's coming from user_nl_clm, but these variables are CAM variables. If you're trying to add variables to CAM history, the correct namelist variable is "fincl1", not "hist_fincl1": see CESM2 CAM6.3 Namelist Definitions

For your first question, I'm going to try to get someone else to answer this who knows more about those components.

sacks

Bill Sacks
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I can answer one more piece regarding cpl history output: To stop all cpl history output just remove

histaux_l2x1yrg = .true.

from user_nl_cpl

(I'm looking in /glade/u/home/maruf/BHIST1253_test, assuming that's the setup you're using.)

mlevy

Michael Levy
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
For POP, I think you just need to add the following to user_nl_pop:

Code:
n_tavg_streams = 0
ltavg_ignore_extra_streams = .true.

It's been a while since I tried this, if it doesn't work let me know and I'll actually test the next response before posting

maruf2812

Montasir Maruf
Thank you everyone!!
The case build was successful I am having an issue with case.submit. The following error shows up:

error.JPG

maruf2812

Montasir Maruf
Hi @sacks I changed the cam namelist to generate daily output for 'TREFHT', 'TREFHTMX', 'PRECC', 'PRECL'. But the daily output files of cam did not generate. My cam namelist looks like this:

mfilt = 30
!dov2xy = .false.
nhtfrq = -24
!hist_type1d_pertape(2) = ' '
fincl1 = 'TREFHT', 'TREFHTMX', 'PRECC', 'PRECL'

I am wondering if there is any error in my namelist.

sacks

Bill Sacks
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Regarding CAM output: I am not an expert in CAM settings, but those look right to me. I could pass this along to a CAM expert, but before I do, can you please give some more information:
- Can you please attach the generated atm_in file (from CaseDocs or your run directory)?
- How long did you run the case for? Did it complete successfully?
- Can you please list the files that appear in your run directory after the run completes? If you have archiving turned on (which is the default), please also look in the archive directory and list the files that appear there.

maruf2812

Montasir Maruf
Regarding CAM output: I am not an expert in CAM settings, but those look right to me. I could pass this along to a CAM expert, but before I do, can you please give some more information:
- Can you please attach the generated atm_in file (from CaseDocs or your run directory)?
- How long did you run the case for? Did it complete successfully?
- Can you please list the files that appear in your run directory after the run completes? If you have archiving turned on (which is the default), please also look in the archive directory and list the files that appear there.
Hi @sacks I run the case for 2 months and run was successful. Here is the file lists that appear in my atm archive:
BHIST1253_test.cam.h0.1850-01-01-00000.nc
BHIST1253_test.cam.h0.1850-01-31-00000.nc
BHIST1253_test.cam.h0.1850-06-30-00000.nc

Since there are many files in run directory, I have attached a screenshot of my run directory.

Attachments

• run.JPG
    run.JPG
    193.4 KB · Views: 5
  • atm_in.txt
    17.6 KB · Views: 3

maruf2812

Montasir Maruf
I also want to save daily output for RIVER_DISCHARGE_OVER_LAND_LIQ. I was wondering what changes I need to make in user_nl_mosart.

sacks

Bill Sacks
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
It looks to me like you probably have archiving turned on (which is the default), so all of your history files except for the last one have been moved to the archive directory. See 5. Running a Case — CIME master documentation and 5. Running a Case — CIME master documentation for more information. In your case, try ./xmlquery DOUT_S (I think this will be TRUE) and then ./xmlquery DOUT_S_ROOT. That second one will give you the location where you can find your archived history files.

For MOSART history variables, see the namelist variables beginning with "rtmhist" in this documentation: CESM2 MOSART Namelist Definitions

maruf2812

Montasir Maruf
Hi @sacks thank you for the suggestions. I have changed a bit in my user_nl_cam and now daily files of atm are generating. Here is my updated user_nl_cam looks like:

fincl2 = 'TREFHT', 'TREFHTMX', 'PRECC', 'PRECL'
nhtfrq(2) = -24
mfilt(2) = 30

mlevy

Michael Levy
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Hi @mlevy, I was wondering what configuration would work to turn off pop output. I have tried in several ways but not working.

Sorry for the delayed response, I was out of the office the past few weeks... but I found time to play with this today and was able to run without output by putting with the following in user_nl_pop (my first post was close to turning off the big netcdf files, but I missed a couple of flags):

Code:
n_tavg_streams = 0
ltavg_ignore_extra_streams = .true.
ldiag_global_tracer_budgets = .false.
diag_gm_bolus = .false.
var_viscosity_outfile = 'unknown_var_viscosity_outfile'
diag_cfl_freq_opt = 'never'
diag_global_freq_opt = 'never'
diag_transp_freq_opt = 'never'

The first four terms suppress the history files. The change to var_viscosity_outfile prevents a small netcdf file containing some time-invariant viscosity terms from being written, and the last three turn off a few of the pop.d text files. As far as I can tell, there is no way to prevent the model from writing

Code:
${CASE}.pop.do.YYYY-MM-DD-SSSSS
${CASE}.pop.dv.YYYY-MM-DD-SSSSS

which are text files containing some overflow and velocity diagnostics, respectively (YYYY-MM-DD-SSSSS is the date stamp of the first POP time step in the run)

maruf2812

Montasir Maruf
I really appreciate your help @mlevy! This is enough for me, I needed to suppress the big size history files. pop.do and pop.dv files are fine since the sizes are not big
Just a small question: Do these changes influence/change land model output? (Like I put "ltavg_ignore_extra_streams = .true." does it change the result in lnd or mosart output)