Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

How to use NCEP dataset to make forcing data for CLM run

NCEP dataset is 6hour, 00 06 12 18, while the CLM forcing data released with the code is 3hour,00 03 06 09 12 15 18 21. I wonder that if I use the 6h data of NCEP directly, not do temperal interpolation, thus constructed forcing dataset can force the run of CLM correctly, and if I must interpolate the 6hour data to 3hour or some configuration of CLM should be done to run with the 6hour forcing data.

slevis

I think that the clm can handle 6-hourly instead of 3-hourly data. Use the format that the clm expects, and hopefully everything will go smoothly. I think you will find it helpful to look inside the clm code, to see how the model reads the data and how it knows whether it's reading 3 or 6-hourly data.

Sam

You may want to try to use the Princeton forcing data. This 50-year data set was derived from the NCEP/NCAR reanalysis. The temporal resolution is already interpolated to 3-hourly. I'm now trying to use this data.

http://hydrology.princeton.edu/data.pgf.php
Sheffield, J., G. Goteti, and E. F. Wood, 2006: Development of a 50-yr high-resolution global dataset of meteorological forcings for land surface modeling, J. Climate, 19 (13), 3088-3111

Good luck-

Ming