Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

I want to know how sensible and latent heat flux are calculated in CAM4, compset F

QikaiYu

Qikai Yu
Compset F, namely running CAM4 standalone. The SST and SIC data used in CAM4 are directly read from nc file.

Therefore, I am curious about the calculation of surface sensible/latent heat flux over sea and sea ice. I have checked the CAM4 scientific description, but useful information is not found.

Any reply would be appreciated!

brianpm

Each surface component is responsible for providing the surface fluxes. These are organized in data structures in $CAM/src/controlcamsrfexch.F90.

The exchanges are mediated by the coupler, which is why it is hard to track down the calculations.

I think where you should look is in $CAM/share/src/shr_flux_mod.F90. For example, over ocean you can find the latent heat flux calculation:

lat (n) = loc_latvap * tau * qstar / ustar

and over sea ice:
!--- heat flux ---
sen (n) = cp * tau * tstar / ustar
lat (n) = ltheat * tau * qstar / ustar

QikaiYu

Qikai Yu
Each surface component is responsible for providing the surface fluxes. These are organized in data structures in $CAM/src/controlcamsrfexch.F90.

The exchanges are mediated by the coupler, which is why it is hard to track down the calculations.

I think where you should look is in $CAM/share/src/shr_flux_mod.F90. For example, over ocean you can find the latent heat flux calculation:

lat (n) = loc_latvap * tau * qstar / ustar

and over sea ice:
!--- heat flux ---
sen (n) = cp * tau * tstar / ustar
lat (n) = ltheat * tau * qstar / ustar
Thank you very much! This is a useful information that enlightens me. Nevertheless, by carefully reading code, I find that the sensible/latent heat flux over sea ice may be calculated in subroutine surface_fluxes. Would you like to check it for me?

Best wish