Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Ice pile up from winds seems to be incorrect.

Hi. I'm just getting CICE running using my own domain and land mask. I've created an ideal strait that is tilted.Before using real data, I'm trying some example runs just using the default atmospheric and ocean settings in ice_flux.f90.I am also NOT coupling CICE with anything.My strait is in the Northern Hemisphere. We are able to change u and v wind velocities in ice_flux.f90. So I want to orient my wind somewhat along-channel so I chose u = -5 m/s and v = -5 m/s (and I'm using winter conditions). When I do this,I get a rapid increase of ice thickness along the eastern edge of my domain, which isn't what you would expect from awind blowing southwest in the northern hemisphere. We would expect ice to pile up on the western edge of the domain.Infact, anytime I set the u velocity to be negative, the ice piles on the east. However, when the u velocity is positive, theice piles on the west.  (I have the ocean currents set to 0). Is there some setting I may have overlooked that could be causing this direction issue?I've attached a screenshot of my strait so you can get a sense of what I'm looking at.This screenshot is showing thickness and the defaults are set with the u wind velocity to be positive.So you'll see the ice is on the western edge when it should be on the eastern.  Thanks!

dbailey

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
See my response to your other post, but the same applies to this question.http://oceans11.lanl.gov/trac/CICEThe CESM version of CICE does not currently use ice_restoring.F90 or ice_forcing.F90.Dave