Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

"ice_ic" when replacing SST and sea_ice

liren

Liren
Dear all,

I am trying to run a "F2000climo" compset using CESM2.1.3 and I want to replace the climatology SST and sea-ice with other data. Also I want to force the atmospheric component with SST & sea-ice in different year.

Now, I have successfully modified the input data. I have changed the user_docn.streams.txt.prescribed file like this:
Code:
<fieldInfo>
   <variableNames>
     SST_cpl t
   </variableNames>
   <filePath>
     /home/sst
   </filePath>
   <fileNames>
    SST.nc
   </fileNames>
   <offset>
   </offset>
</fieldInfo>
</file>
Also, in order to change the sea-ice field, I use
Code:
./xmlchange SSTICE_DATA_FILENAME="sea-ice.nc"
And CESM can run normally. But:
1. I wonder if this is the right way to replace sea ice and SST
2. I had just found that the variable "ice_ic" in file ”./CaseDocs/ice_in“ is
Code:
ice_ic = "f.e20.FHIST.f09_f09.cesm2_1.001_v2.cice.r.2000-01-01-00000.nc"
because I want to restart manually base on the restart file. I wonder if this variable (ice_ic) should be modified.

Sincerely,
Liren

dbailey

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
For an F compset, you have a combined SST/ICEFRAC file so that CICE and DOCN are reading in the same dataset. The SST and ICEFRAC need to be consistent. Have a look at the SSTICE variables in env_run.xml. This is where you would make changes. Also, I am moving this to the CAM forum.

liren

Liren
For an F compset, you have a combined SST/ICEFRAC file so that CICE and DOCN are reading in the same dataset. The SST and ICEFRAC need to be consistent. Have a look at the SSTICE variables in env_run.xml. This is where you would make changes. Also, I am moving this to the CAM forum.
Thanks for your reply! I have checked "env_run.xml" and xml file seems right.