Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Icepack setting for Arctic and Antarctic

Alfred

Dear developer of Icepack,

I want to inqure if there are some different setting for Arctic and Antarctic in Icepack. I run cases for both Arctic and Antarctic using the ERA5 data as the figures. In Arctic, the output shortwave show little difference with the input forcing shorwave, but in Antarctic, the output shortwave show smaller than the forcing and show a longer time polarnight when shorwave radiation is 0.
Best wishes!
1604979219787.pngAntarctic

dbailey

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
In Icepack, you are setting the latitude and longitude of the forcing. What do you mean when you are using ERA5 forcing? Do you extract point values for each hemisphere? The initialization is slightly different depending on the hemispheres, but all of the namelist parameters should be the same.

Alfred

In Icepack, you are setting the latitude and longitude of the forcing. What do you mean when you are using ERA5 forcing? Do you extract point values for each hemisphere? The initialization is slightly different depending on the hemispheres, but all of the namelist parameters should be the same.
Yes, I extract the point values for both Arctic and Antarctia to test. Could you tell me where I can set the latitude and longitude of the forcing, I don't find the latitude and longitude in the namelist of ice_in.

Best regards,

Alfred

dbailey

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
The latitude and longitude of the points in icepack are hard coded in icedrv_init.F90.

TLAT(:) = p5*pi ! pi/2, North pole
TLON(:) = c0

do i = 2, nx
TLAT(i) = TLAT(i-1) - p5*pi/180._dbl_kind ! half-deg increments
enddo

I believe the lat/lon of the forcing is just implied by the data you are reading in.

Alfred

The latitude and longitude of the points in icepack are hard coded in icedrv_init.F90.

TLAT(:) = p5*pi ! pi/2, North pole
TLON(:) = c0

do i = 2, nx
TLAT(i) = TLAT(i-1) - p5*pi/180._dbl_kind ! half-deg increments
enddo

I believe the lat/lon of the forcing is just implied by the data you are reading in.
Hi, I have another question. I run the Icepack with forcing data and compare the output with the input forcing, such as the down shortwave radiation, the out and in result show the same. But I chose the dEdd sheme. The result show that the shortwave radiation parameterization scheme do not work. I don not find where so set to open the use of parameterization scheme。