Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Input data root undetected

I am trying to create a new case with the machine generic_linux_intel, but every time I type in:

%% ./create_newcase -case general -mach generic_linux_intel -compset A -res f10_f10 -scratchroot ccsm4_working_copy/CASEROOT -din_loc_root_csmdata /Will/ccsm4_working_copy/input_data -max_tasks_per_node 6 -pes_per_node 6

the system ignores my input data directory and gives the output:

%% Cannot find din_loc_root_csmdata directory Will/ccsm4_working_copy/input_data at ./create_newcase line 206.

I noticed a similar error when I tried to run standalone CAM earlier on. When issuing the build-namelist command I would get the error:

%% build-namelist - CCSM inputdata root is not a directory: "Will/ccsm4_working_copy/input_data"

Please help me to understand what is wrong with my system.

Thank You

eaton

CSEG and Liaisons
In both error messages the directory that cannot be found is:

"Will/ccsm4_working_copy/input_data"

which indicates that you provided a relative pathname for the argument. But in the create_newcase command the directory is given as

"/Will/ccsm4_working_copy/input_data"

This isn't consistent with the error message. In any case, the value of the argument needs to be an absolute pathname.

thanks, that was a silly mistake, I pasted the error message wrong. Also the error kept coming up because I had the incorrect root directory name. You really saved me there, I wouldn't have noticed otherwise.

Afterwords I managed to build a standalone CAM run, but I am still having trouble linking to NETCDF. When I run configure with the -test option I keep getting:

configure done.
creating /Users/Will/ccsm4_working_copy/models/atm/cam/bld/Filepath
creating /Users/Will/ccsm4_working_copy/models/atm/cam/bld/misc.h
creating /Users/Will/ccsm4_working_copy/models/atm/cam/bld/preproc.h
creating /Users/Will/ccsm4_working_copy/models/atm/cam/bld/Makefile
creating /Users/Will/ccsm4_working_copy/models/atm/cam/bld/config_cache.xml
Looking for a valid GNU make... using gmake
Test linking to NetCDF library... **** FAILED ****
Issued the command:
gmake -f /Users/Will/ccsm4_working_copy/models/atm/cam/bld/Makefile test_nc 2>&1

The output was:
/Users/Will/ccsm4_working_copy/models/atm/cam/bld/mkSrcfiles > /Users/Will/ccsm4_working_copy/models/atm/cam/bld/configure-tests/Srcfiles
/Users/Will/ccsm4_working_copy/models/atm/cam/bld/mkDepends Filepath Srcfiles > /Users/Will/ccsm4_working_copy/models/atm/cam/bld/configure-tests/Depends
xlf90_r -c -qsuffix=f=f90:cpp=F90 -I. -I/Users/Will/ccsm4_working_copy/models/atm/cam/bld/configure-tests -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/local/include -WF,-DNO_SHR_VMATH -WF,-DSEQ_MCT -WF,-DFORTRAN_SAME -WF,-DCO2A -WF,-DMAXPATCH_PFT=numpft+1 -WF,-DLSMLAT=1 -WF,-DLSMLON=1 -WF,-DCOUP_DOM -WF,-DPLON=24 -WF,-DPLAT=19 -WF,-DPLEV=26 -WF,-DPCNST=3 -WF,-DPCOLS=16 -WF,-DPTRM=1 -WF,-DPTRN=1 -WF,-DPTRK=1 -WF,-DSTAGGERED -WF,-DCCSMCOUPLED -WF,-Dcoupled -WF,-Dncdf -WF,-DNCAT=1 -WF,-DNXGLOB=24 -WF,-DNYGLOB=19 -WF,-DNTR_AERO=0 -WF,-DBLCKX=24 -WF,-DBLCKY=19 -WF,-DMXBLCKS=1 -WF,-D_USEBOX -WF,-D_NETCDF -WF,-DAIX -WF,-DDarwin -qspillsize=2500 -O3 -qstrict -WF,-DHIDE_MPI,-D_MPISERIAL test_nc.F90
gmake: xlf90_r: Command not found
gmake: *** [test_nc.o] Error 127

I'm wondering if the problem stems from the xlf90_r command, or if that's a separate issue. It could be that I need to download XL fortran but I wanted to make sure first.
Thanks!