Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

instantaneous values in history files?

I need to print out instantaneous values in the CAM history files. I am using avgflag_pertape = 'I' in the &cam_inparm section of atm_in; is this the correct way to do this? How can I verify that the values are indeed instantaneous? Is there anything in the screen output? I did not notice anything in the headers of the generated history files?

Thanks,
John

eaton

CSEG and Liaisons
There are 2 ways you can check that history fields are instantaneous.

1) The output log file contains lists of all fields that are written to each history file. Those lists contain the same flag values that are used in the "fincl" namelist variables to specify whether the field is averaged (A), instantaneous (I), maximum (X) or minimum (M). For example:

FLDLST: Included fields tape 1 = 251
1 AEROD_v 1 A
2 CLDHGH 1 A
3 CLDICE 26 I
4 CLDICEAP 26 I

This logfile output shows that the first 2 fields are averaged, and the second 2 fields are instantaneous. The integer in front of the time operator flag is the number of field levels.

2) You can do an ncdump on the history files and look at the "cell_methods" attribute of each field to see what time operation has been applied. Fields that are instantaneous won't have a cell_methods attribute (that's the default). But fields that are averaged will have cell_methods = "time: mean", fields that are maximum values over the interval will have cell_methods = "time: maximum", and fields that are minimum values over the interval will have cell_methods = "time: minimum"