Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

IPCC = OFF scenario

Hi All,

I am Sanjiv, PhD student at Purdue University. Wish you all a very happy and prosperous new year.

My orginal question was:

When we set IPCC_MODE = OFF in env_conf, then which forcing is being
considered. More simply: What is CO2 concentration in the atmosphere, it is
present day CO2 concentration (350 or 365 ppm) or anything else.

I have a repy from Gary Strand that

It's not present day, as you're trying to run an 1870 control, therefore, the CO2 value will be set to the 1870 contained in ghg_1870_2100_c040122.nc, which is ~289.3 ppm.

So my new question is:

If we say for IPCC = OFF, CO2 concentration is set to 289.3 ppm (1870 value). What happens to SST and sea ice data file. Does is also get set to 1870 value or not. Because i am running CAM and CLM in active mode and SST and sea ice, i am taking as data component only.

Any clarification in this regard is highly appreciated

thanks
sanjiv

Hi All,

My assessemnt is when we set IPCC_MODE = OFF, model runs for present day scenario (CO2 concentration - 355 ppm) and presnt day SST (1949-2001) climatology. Please note that I am running CAM and CLM in active mode and Ocean and Ice as data component only.

There are two argument behind this assessemnt:

1) deafult value of CO2VMR = 355 ppm in [User’s Guide to the NCAR
Community Atmosphere Model (CAM 3.0), page 66].

2) file "ghg_1870_2100_c040122.nc" contains CO2 concentration from 1870 to 2100. But when we run the model for IPCC=OFF this file is not get copied to "cam" executable direcoty.

So that imples that model should use default value of CO2VMR

Similarly, for SST in IPCC=OFF secnario model uses "Hurrell SST Climatlogy"
which is 1949-2001 mean, see the link below

http://cires.colorado.edu/science/groups/chase/projects/climateland/global/

which says....

"clim: Standard CCSM 3.0 monthly climatology sea surface temperatures and sea ice distributions taken from the period 1949 - 2001 and widely refered to as the Hurrell SST climatology."

So, in summary IPCC=OFF runs the model for present day scenario.

Am i right in my assessment?

Thanks
Sanjiv