Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Is BGC-CROP the default setup for SSP simulations?

Andrie

Andrie
Hello everyone,

I am very new to CESM and CLM so this might be obvious for others but I could not find a direct answer online.
Later on I would like to use the BGC-CROP mode alongside SSP245 input data in a fully-coupled set-up. To get more familiar with CESM2.1.2, I ran some test simulations specifying COMP=BSSP245cmip6 (and nothing further regarding the BGC-CROP mode) then the long compset name that is printed out is SSP245_CAM60_CLM50%BGC-CROP-CMIP6DECK_CICE%CMIP6_POP2%ECO%ABIO-DIC_MOSART_CISM2%NOEVOLVE_WW3_BGC%BDRD.

Now I am wondering if the BGC-CROP mode is the default mode when running future SSP (and maybe also historical hist) simulations or (and if so how) I should always additionally specify that I want to use the BGC-CROP mode.

Thanks a lot for your help

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
You can check whether BGC-Crop is on without setting up a simulation by using the ./query_config tool in cime/scripts:

./query_config --compsets

This will list the compset alias' and the compset longnames that are available in that version of the model.

Andrie

Andrie
Perfect, thanks a lot I did not know about this command.

This command shows for instance:
BSSP245 : SSP245_CAM60_CLM50%BGC-CROP_CICE_POP2%ECO%ABIO-DIC_MOSART_CISM2%NOEVOLVE_WW3_BGC%BDRD
BSSP245cmip6 : SSP245_CAM60_CLM50%BGC-CROP-CMIP6DECK_CICE%CMIP6_POP2%ECO%ABIO-DIC_MOSART_CISM2%NOEVOLVE_WW3_BGC%BDRD

I would have two follow-up questions:
1. Does this mean that at least in this version of the model, the BGC-CROP mode is always on default used when using the SSP forcing?
2. Since none of the BSSP longnames include SP mode for CLM. Would that mean that I am not able to run the SP mode with an SSP forcing in this version of the model?

Thanks!

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
1. I haven't checked every SSP compset myself but I believe so.
2. You can run SP mode by specifying the compset longname in your create_case command, e.g,

./create_newcase --compset SSP245_CAM60_CLM50%SP_CICE_POP2%ECO%ABIO-DIC_MOSART_CISM2%NOEVOLVE_WW3_BGC%BDRD