Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Is it possible to run an equilibrium simulation for the year 2015 with ETEST compset?

anushree

Hi all,
I am trying to run an equilibrium simulation with ETEST compset with CESM2.1.1.This compset is for the year 2000.I want to run it for the year 2015.is it possible to do so?i am hopeful that it can be done with the neccessary files.
In atm_in file i have changed the values of the following:
ext_frc_cycle_yr =2015
srf_emis_cycle_yr =2015
tracer_cnst_cycle_yr=2015
prescribed_ozone_cycle_yr=2015
i would like to ask you the correct files for ncdata,tracer_cnst_file and prescribed_ozone_file.Please direct me to the correct files in your subversion repository.

In lnd_in file:
int_snow_max = 2015
stream_year_first_urbantv = 2015
stream_year_last_urbantv = 2015
i would like to ask you the correct files for finidat and fsurdat.

Apart from these do i need to change anything else?
Kindly help.
Regards,
Anushree

nusbaume

Jesse Nusbaumer
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Hi Anushree,

I believe all of the input files you want are for transient simulations, which can provide the exact (as opposed to average) forcings for a given year. So I would probably recommend creating an "FHIST" case, running case.setup, and then generating its namelist using the preview_namelists command located in the case directory. Then you should see a file labeled atm_in in your run directory that should list, along with other model settings, all of the different chemical, aerosol, ozone, solar, etc. boundary conditions files that you can use to force your slab ocean simulation. To help find those entries, I believe they should all have an XXX_type namelist option where one can specify "FIXED","CYCLICAL", etc., except for solar which I believe has no "CYCLICAL" option (so you'll likely need to use "FIXED").

The same should also be doable for lnd_in as well (which specifies the land model variables), although I would recommend making a separate post in the land model forum for that question:

as they will know much better what namelist variables should be set then we will.

Finally, for ncdata the best bet would probably be to use the one specified in an F2000climo compset. Although it obviously doesn't exactly match the year 2015, it ultimately shouldn't matter for an equilibration run, as the climate should reach its equilibrium state regardless of what the initial conditions are.

Anyways, I hope that helps, and if you still have any questions or concerns about this process just let us know.

Thanks, and have a great day!

Jesse