Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Is the old bug in CESM CAM-chem and WACCM fixed?

CaliFornia

CF
Hi everyone,

I found an old tutorial for CESM1.2.2 CAM-chem and WACCM. It seems like the old bug still exists in new version of CESM(2.1.4). Do I need to change them?
https://www2.cesm.ucar.edu/events/tutorials/2015/day5_waccm_camchem_cesm_Tilmes_2015.pdf

The current chem_mech.in of CESM2.1.4:
[O1D_O2ab] O1D + O2 -> O + O2 ; 3.3e-11, 55
1701663968355.png

For CESM2.1.4 WACCM, there are more changes, not sure if the editing is still needed:
[O1D_N2,cph=189.81] O1D + N2 -> O + N2 ; 2.15e-11, 110
[O1D_O2,cph=32.91] O1D + O2 -> O + O2_1S ; 2.64e-11, 55
1701663968432.png

Sorry I do not understand those equations (and the tiny differences between the pdf and current equations). Any feedback will be appreciated.

rrbuchholz

Rebecca Buchholz
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Hi There!

The tutorial is asking you to "Change the reaction rate to the incorrect version (1.65e-12) to see how it can impact results." It is an exercise to understand how to change chemistry and how it affects the model. So, you do not need to change these reaction rates if you want to use the model to investigate a science question.

Here is a link to the new/updated version of the tutorial examples: 2: Test case: changing the chemistry — CESM Tutorial

Hope that helps.

CaliFornia

CF
Hi There!

The tutorial is asking you to "Change the reaction rate to the incorrect version (1.65e-12) to see how it can impact results." It is an exercise to understand how to change chemistry and how it affects the model. So, you do not need to change these reaction rates if you want to use the model to investigate a science question.

Here is a link to the new/updated version of the tutorial examples: 2: Test case: changing the chemistry — CESM Tutorial

Hope that helps.

I am so sorry I misunderstood the pdf. And thank you very much for your quick reply and the new tutorial!