Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Is there a F compset for RCP8.5 case for CESM1.2.2?

tomaslovato

Tomas Lovato
Hi Lei,
from my user experience with CESM 1.2.2, you can easily define a custom compset by providing the explicit components list
by looking into config_compsets.xml in <cesmroot>/master/scripts/ccsm_utils/Case.template/config_compsets.xml

For example, B_RCP8.5_CN is an alias for a longer chain of model components:
<COMPSET sname="B_RCP8.5_CN" alias="BRCP85CN" >RCP8_CAM4_CLM40%CN_CICE_POP2_RTM_SGLC_SWAV</COMPSET>

So when creating a user defined compset (use -user_compset instead of -compset ), your F case should report the complete list of components, similarly to the following
$>./create_newcase ... -user_compset RCP8_CAM4_CLM40%CN_CICE%PRES_DOCN%DOM_RTM_SGLC_SWAV

Note that being a user defined compset, some of the automatic setting available for official compset may not be effective,
so carefully check namelist values and input data of your custom case that must correspond to your needs.

Cheers

Dear Cheers,

Thanks for your responses!

Yes, I can create an F compset this way. I guess my main question is, is there a sea ice cover and SST data for these RCP scenarios and CAM5? or we should create our own input data for ocean and ice components needed?

The default setup uses this file: "sst_HadOIBl_bc_1x1_clim_c101029.nc" which I think should be Present-day climatology (1982 - 2001).

I also found some sst data on CESM repository, for example: sst_rcp8.5_bias_corrected_2006-2100.nc and sstice_RCP85_2006-2100_c131008.nc and sst_BRCP85C5CNBDRD_ensmean_1x1_2006-2100_c150729.nc. However, I am not sure which one should be used for CESM1.2 with CAM5?

Thanks again.

Best,
Lei

tomaslovato

Tomas Lovato
@june1004 please see the above part of the discussion.

Dear Lei,
while for present climate sst & ice conditions come from best estimates of HadiSST data for AMIP experiments, the realization of a similar experiment but for future climate scenarios requires the derivation of sst and ice from fully coupled model simulations.

As a user, I can only suggest to do some analysis of the files you quoted in the above message (e.g. global sst average timeseries) to initially assess characteristics of the forcing fields and then it is up to you deciding which one is more suitable to the aim of your research.
It might be that the forcing derived from the ensemble of future RCP85 simulations (sst_BRCP85C5CNBDRD_ensmean_1x1_2006-2100_c150729.nc) could be a good candidate, but still this decision depends on how it fits in your research objective.

bests,
Tomas