Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Issue porting version of CESM 1.2 to Cheyenne following recommended changes

Hello,I am having trouble porting a later version of CESM 1.2 to Cheyenne. The troubles are occuring after following these recommended changes:- http://lab.fengxiao.info/2019/02/06/running-old-version-of-CESM-on-Cheyenne-NCAR.html- https://bb.cgd.ucar.edu/cesm-1221-cesmsetup-module-issue-cheyenneI am using the following modules in my env_mach_specific (which worked in the past with a similar version of CESM):intel/18.0.5, ncarenv/1.3, mkl/2018.0.5, ncarcompilers/0.5.0, mpt/2.19, netcdf/4.6.3, netcdf-mpi/4.6.3, pnetcdf/1.11.1 When I run the code with the recommended updated version of pio (1_8_14, https://bb.cgd.ucar.edu/cesm-1221-cesmsetup-module-issue-cheyenne) the model crashes at csm_share.bldlog with the error message:.../gpfs/fs1/work/hbrown/PNNL/cesm/CAM5-MAM4_trk/cheyenne_code/ACME-hilat_hw_tag_BC_8_MAM4/models/csm_share/shr/shr_pio_mod.F90(720): error #6460: This is not a field name that is defined in the encompassing structure.   [COMM_FC_OPTS]    pio_rearr_opts%comm_fc_opts%fcd = buf(2)-------------------^/gpfs/fs1/work/hbrown/PNNL/cesm/CAM5-MAM4_trk/cheyenne_code/ACME-hilat_hw_tag_BC_8_MAM4/models/csm_share/shr/shr_pio_mod.F90(720): error #6460: This is not a field name that is defined in the encompassing structure.   [FCD]    pio_rearr_opts%comm_fc_opts%fcd = buf(2)--------------------------------^/gpfs/fs1/work/hbrown/PNNL/cesm/CAM5-MAM4_trk/cheyenne_code/ACME-hilat_hw_tag_BC_8_MAM4/models/csm_share/shr/shr_pio_mod.F90(721): error #6460: This is not a field name that is defined in the encompassing structure.   [MAX_PEND_REQ]    pio_rearr_opts%comm_fc_opts%max_pend_req = buf(3)--------------------------------^/gpfs/fs1/work/hbrown/PNNL/cesm/CAM5-MAM4_trk/cheyenne_code/ACME-hilat_hw_tag_BC_8_MAM4/models/csm_share/shr/shr_pio_mod.F90(723): error #6460: This is not a field name that is defined in the encompassing structure.   [ENABLE_HS]      pio_rearr_opts%comm_fc_opts%enable_hs = .false.----------------------------------^/gpfs/fs1/work/hbrown/PNNL/cesm/CAM5-MAM4_trk/cheyenne_code/ACME-hilat_hw_tag_BC_8_MAM4/models/csm_share/shr/shr_pio_mod.F90(723): error #6303: The assignment operation or the binary expression operation is invalid for the data types of the two operands.      pio_rearr_opts%comm_fc_opts%enable_hs = .false.----------------------------------------------^/gpfs/fs1/work/hbrown/PNNL/cesm/CAM5-MAM4_trk/cheyenne_code/ACME-hilat_hw_tag_BC_8_MAM4/models/csm_share/shr/shr_pio_mod.F90(725): error #6303: The assignment operation or the binary expression operation is invalid for the data types of the two operands.      pio_rearr_opts%comm_fc_opts%enable_hs = .true.----------------------------------------------^/gpfs/fs1/work/hbrown/PNNL/cesm/CAM5-MAM4_trk/cheyenne_code/ACME-hilat_hw_tag_BC_8_MAM4/models/csm_share/shr/shr_pio_mod.F90(728): error #6460: This is not a field name that is defined in the encompassing structure.   [ENABLE_ISEND]      pio_rearr_opts%comm_fc_opts%enable_isend = .false.----------------------------------^/gpfs/fs1/work/hbrown/PNNL/cesm/CAM5-MAM4_trk/cheyenne_code/ACME-hilat_hw_tag_BC_8_MAM4/models/csm_share/shr/shr_pio_mod.F90(728): error #6303: The assignment operation or the binary expression operation is invalid for the data types of the two operands.      pio_rearr_opts%comm_fc_opts%enable_isend = .false.-------------------------------------------------^/gpfs/fs1/work/hbrown/PNNL/cesm/CAM5-MAM4_trk/cheyenne_code/ACME-hilat_hw_tag_BC_8_MAM4/models/csm_share/shr/shr_pio_mod.F90(730): error #6303: The assignment operation or the binary expression operation is invalid for the data types of the two operands.      pio_rearr_opts%comm_fc_opts%enable_isend = .true.-------------------------------------------------^compilation aborted for /gpfs/fs1/work/hbrown/PNNL/cesm/CAM5-MAM4_trk/cheyenne_code/ACME-hilat_hw_tag_BC_8_MAM4/models/csm_share/shr/shr_pio_mod.F90 (code 1)/glade/scratch/hbrown/port_test/cases/port_test2/Tools/Makefile:650: recipe for target 'shr_pio_mod.o' failedgmake: *** [shr_pio_mod.o] Error 1gmake: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs.... gmake  complib -j 8 MODEL=csm_share COMPLIB=libcsm_share.a USER_CPPDEFS="  -DNUM_COMP_INST_ATM=1 -DNUM_COMP_INST_LND=1 -DNUM_COMP_INST_OCN=1 -DNUM_COMP_INST_ICE=1 -DNUM_COMP_INST_GLC=1 -DNUM_COMP_INST_WAV=1 -DNUM_COMP_INST_ROF=1" -f /glade/scratch/hbrown/port_test/cases/port_test2/Tools/Makefile  returned non-zero exit status 2
  When I leave the pio version as is (version 1_8_11), the model makes it further along in the build, but crashes at the cesm.bldlog with the error: ...mpif90  -o /glade/scratch/hbrown/port_test/port_test1/bld/cesm.exe ccsm_comp_mod.o ccsm_driver.o component_mod.o component_type_mod.o cpl_comp_esmf.o cplcomp_exchange_mod.o prep_aoflux_mod.o prep_atm_mod.o prep_glc_mod.o prep_ice_mod.o prep_lnd_mod.o prep_ocn_mod.o prep_rof_mod.o prep_wav_mod.o seq_diag_mct.o seq_domain_mct.o seq_flux_mct.o seq_frac_mct.o seq_hist_mod.o seq_io_mod.o seq_map_esmf.o seq_map_mod.o seq_map_type_mod.o seq_rest_mod.o t_driver_timers_mod.o  -L/glade/scratch/hbrown/port_test/port_test1/bld/lib/ -latm  -L/glade/scratch/hbrown/port_test/port_test1/bld/lib/ -lice  -L/glade/scratch/hbrown/port_test/port_test1/bld/lib/ -llnd  -L/glade/scratch/hbrown/port_test/port_test1/bld/lib/ -locn  -L/glade/scratch/hbrown/port_test/port_test1/bld/lib/ -lrof  -L/glade/scratch/hbrown/port_test/port_test1/bld/lib/ -lglc  -L/glade/scratch/hbrown/port_test/port_test1/bld/lib/ -lwav -L/glade/scratch/hbrown/port_test/port_test1/bld/intel/mpt/debug/nothreads/MCT/noesmf/a1l1r1i1o1g1w1/csm_share -lcsm_share -L/glade/scratch/hbrown/port_test/port_test1/bld/intel/mpt/debug/nothreads/lib -lpio -lgptl -lmct -lmpeu -L/glade/u/apps/ch/opt/netcdf-mpi/4.6.3/mpt/2.19/intel/18.0.5//lib -lnetcdf  -L/glade/u/apps/ch/opt/pnetcdf/1.11.1/mpt/2.19/intel/18.0.5//lib -lpnetcdf/usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.8/../../../../x86_64-suse-linux/bin/ld: ccsm_comp_mod.o: in function `ccsm_comp_mod_mp_ccsm_pre_init1_':/gpfs/fs1/work/hbrown/PNNL/cesm/CAM5-MAM4_trk/cheyenne_code/ACME-hilat_hw_tag_BC_8_MAM4/models/drv/driver/ccsm_comp_mod.F90:550:(.text+0x2b): relocation truncated to fit: R_X86_64_32 against symbol `ccsm_comp_mod_mp_ierr_' defined in COMMON section in ccsm_comp_mod.o/usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.8/../../../../x86_64-suse-linux/bin/ld: /gpfs/fs1/work/hbrown/PNNL/cesm/CAM5-MAM4_trk/cheyenne_code/ACME-hilat_hw_tag_BC_8_MAM4/models/drv/driver/ccsm_comp_mod.F90:551:(.text+0x95): relocation truncated to fit: R_X86_64_32 against symbol `ccsm_comp_mod_mp_ierr_' defined in COMMON section in ccsm_comp_mod.o/usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.8/../../../../x86_64-suse-linux/bin/ld: /gpfs/fs1/work/hbrown/PNNL/cesm/CAM5-MAM4_trk/cheyenne_code/ACME-hilat_hw_tag_BC_8_MAM4/models/drv/driver/ccsm_comp_mod.F90:553:(.text+0xbf): relocation truncated to fit: R_X86_64_PC32 against symbol `ccsm_comp_mod_mp_global_comm_' defined in COMMON section in ccsm_comp_mod.o/usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.8/../../../../x86_64-suse-linux/bin/ld: /gpfs/fs1/work/hbrown/PNNL/cesm/CAM5-MAM4_trk/cheyenne_code/ACME-hilat_hw_tag_BC_8_MAM4/models/drv/driver/ccsm_comp_mod.F90:555:(.text+0x13d): relocation truncated to fit: R_X86_64_PC32 against symbol `ccsm_comp_mod_mp_time_brun_' defined in COMMON section in ccsm_comp_mod.o/usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.8/../../../../x86_64-suse-linux/bin/ld: /gpfs/fs1/work/hbrown/PNNL/cesm/CAM5-MAM4_trk/cheyenne_code/ACME-hilat_hw_tag_BC_8_MAM4/models/drv/driver/ccsm_comp_mod.F90:557:(.text+0x14c): relocation truncated to fit: R_X86_64_32 against symbol `ccsm_comp_mod_mp_global_comm_' defined in COMMON section in ccsm_comp_mod.o/usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.8/../../../../x86_64-suse-linux/bin/ld: /gpfs/fs1/work/hbrown/PNNL/cesm/CAM5-MAM4_trk/cheyenne_code/ACME-hilat_hw_tag_BC_8_MAM4/models/drv/driver/ccsm_comp_mod.F90:564:(.text+0x167): relocation truncated to fit: R_X86_64_32 against symbol `ccsm_comp_mod_mp_global_comm_' defined in COMMON section in ccsm_comp_mod.o/usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.8/../../../../x86_64-suse-linux/bin/ld: /gpfs/fs1/work/hbrown/PNNL/cesm/CAM5-MAM4_trk/cheyenne_code/ACME-hilat_hw_tag_BC_8_MAM4/models/drv/driver/ccsm_comp_mod.F90:567:(.text+0x188): relocation truncated to fit: R_X86_64_32 against symbol `seq_comm_mct_mp_gloid_' defined in COMMON section in /glade/scratch/hbrown/port_test/port_test1/bld/intel/mpt/debug/nothreads/MCT/noesmf/a1l1r1i1o1g1w1/csm_share/libcsm_share.a(seq_comm_mct.o)/usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.8/../../../../x86_64-suse-linux/bin/ld: /gpfs/fs1/work/hbrown/PNNL/cesm/CAM5-MAM4_trk/cheyenne_code/ACME-hilat_hw_tag_BC_8_MAM4/models/drv/driver/ccsm_comp_mod.F90:567:(.text+0x1a1): relocation truncated to fit: R_X86_64_32 against symbol `ccsm_comp_mod_mp_iam_gloid_' defined in COMMON section in ccsm_comp_mod.o/usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.8/../../../../x86_64-suse-linux/bin/ld: /gpfs/fs1/work/hbrown/PNNL/cesm/CAM5-MAM4_trk/cheyenne_code/ACME-hilat_hw_tag_BC_8_MAM4/models/drv/driver/ccsm_comp_mod.F90:567:(.text+0x1d3): relocation truncated to fit: R_X86_64_32 against symbol `ccsm_comp_mod_mp_pethreads_gloid_' defined in COMMON section in ccsm_comp_mod.o/usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.8/../../../../x86_64-suse-linux/bin/ld: /gpfs/fs1/work/hbrown/PNNL/cesm/CAM5-MAM4_trk/cheyenne_code/ACME-hilat_hw_tag_BC_8_MAM4/models/drv/driver/ccsm_comp_mod.F90:568:(.text+0x226): relocation truncated to fit: R_X86_64_32 against symbol `ccsm_comp_mod_mp_pethreads_gloid_' defined in COMMON section in ccsm_comp_mod.o/usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.8/../../../../x86_64-suse-linux/bin/ld: /gpfs/fs1/work/hbrown/PNNL/cesm/CAM5-MAM4_trk/cheyenne_code/ACME-hilat_hw_tag_BC_8_MAM4/models/drv/driver/ccsm_comp_mod.F90:572:(.text+0x248): additional relocation overflows omitted from the output/usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.8/../../../../x86_64-suse-linux/bin/ld: failed to convert GOTPCREL relocation; relink with --no-relax/glade/scratch/hbrown/port_test/cases/port_test1/Tools/Makefile:636: recipe for target '/glade/scratch/hbrown/port_test/port_test1/bld/cesm.exe' failedgmake: *** [/glade/scratch/hbrown/port_test/port_test1/bld/cesm.exe] Error 1
Could this be an issue with the modules I have loaded? These were errors that I hadn't found in the discussions previously and wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations. Thanks for your time, 

Hi Simchan, thanks for your reply.I did run a test with an updated pio (1_8_14, following the changes that you refer to), but this caused the build to crash at the csm_share.bldlog. Do you mind sharing the modules that you are loading in your env_mach_specific.cheyenne file? Best,

Hi Simchan, thanks for your reply.I did run a test with an updated pio (1_8_14, following the changes that you refer to), but this caused the build to crash at the csm_share.bldlog. Do you mind sharing the modules that you are loading in your env_mach_specific.cheyenne file? Best,

No problem! Hope you can fix it soon.Maybe you can remove the old build directory, if you havne't? (./$casename.clean_build or remove the directory at the /glade/scratch/$username/$casename/bld)
-Shim
#! /bin/tcsh # -------------------------------------------------------------------------# Laramie build specific settings# ------------------------------------------------------------------------- source  /etc/profile.d/modules.csh module purge module load intel/17.0.1module load ncarenv/1.0module load mklmodule load ncarcompilers/0.4.1module load mpt/2.19if($MPILIB== "mpi-serial" ) then  module load netcdf/4.6.1else  module load netcdf-mpi/4.6.1  module load pnetcdf/1.11.0endif# -------------------------------------------------------------------------# Build and runtime environment variables - edit before the initial build# ------------------------------------------------------------------------- setenv OMP_STACKSIZE 256Msetenv NETCDF_PATH $NETCDFsetenv PNETCDF_PATH $PNETCDF

No problem! Hope you can fix it soon.Maybe you can remove the old build directory, if you havne't? (./$casename.clean_build or remove the directory at the /glade/scratch/$username/$casename/bld)
-Shim
#! /bin/tcsh # -------------------------------------------------------------------------# Laramie build specific settings# ------------------------------------------------------------------------- source  /etc/profile.d/modules.csh module purge module load intel/17.0.1module load ncarenv/1.0module load mklmodule load ncarcompilers/0.4.1module load mpt/2.19if($MPILIB== "mpi-serial" ) then  module load netcdf/4.6.1else  module load netcdf-mpi/4.6.1  module load pnetcdf/1.11.0endif# -------------------------------------------------------------------------# Build and runtime environment variables - edit before the initial build# ------------------------------------------------------------------------- setenv OMP_STACKSIZE 256Msetenv NETCDF_PATH $NETCDFsetenv PNETCDF_PATH $PNETCDF

Thanks Shim,I tried using the same setup as you with the updated pio (version 1_8_14), but I encounter the same error as for my initial comment (see attached bldlogs).The csm_share.bldlog has an issue that is similar to https://bb.cgd.ucar.edu/cesm111-build-pio-question, where a solution was to remove some of the fortran modules in the pio/ directory and modify the pio/Makefile as per the comments. Unfortunately, this is an older version of pio (1_5_11) and the design of 1_8_14 does not lend itself to these changes.The tag that I am using is cesm1_3_beta10 which may be part of the problem. Any suggestions regarding a pio version or a trouble shooting approach for this issue?Many thanks!

Thanks Shim,I tried using the same setup as you with the updated pio (version 1_8_14), but I encounter the same error as for my initial comment (see attached bldlogs).The csm_share.bldlog has an issue that is similar to https://bb.cgd.ucar.edu/cesm111-build-pio-question, where a solution was to remove some of the fortran modules in the pio/ directory and modify the pio/Makefile as per the comments. Unfortunately, this is an older version of pio (1_5_11) and the design of 1_8_14 does not lend itself to these changes.The tag that I am using is cesm1_3_beta10 which may be part of the problem. Any suggestions regarding a pio version or a trouble shooting approach for this issue?Many thanks!

Hunter,I'm not sure whether my trick also works for cesm1_3beta10.If it is ok to use cesm1.2.2, would you like to follow the steps I've done yesterday?Below is my scratch notes/log for setting up the cesm1.2.2.  1) Download the source codes>> svn co https://svn-ccsm-models.cgd.ucar.edu/cesm1/release_tags/cesm1_2_1 cesm1_2_1 
2) modify the pio address>> vi cesm1_2_2/SVN_EXTERNAL_DIRECTORIESdelete the models/utils/pio line and then add belowmodels/utils/pio                   https://github.com/NCAR/ParallelIO.git/tags/pio1_8_12/pio >> svn propset svn:externals -F SVN_EXTERNAL_DIRECTORIES .>> svn update cd cesm1_2_2/models/utils>> mv pio pio.old>> svn co https://github.com/NCAR/ParallelIO.git/tags/pio1_8_14/pio cd cesm1_2_2/tools/cprnc/>> vi SVN_EXTERNAL_DIRECTORIESModify belowgenf90 https://github.com/PARALLELIO/genf90/tags/genf90_140121>> svn propset svn:externals -F SVN_EXTERNAL_DIRECTORIES . >> svn update  3)Porting Cheyenne machinehttps://bb.cgd.ucar.edu/machine-cheyenne-not-available-cesmhttps://docs.google.com/document/d/1V5_oIA_ZPmLsMKp0rZlQ99CqQshx2pqcZsVQhT7lCb0/edit#>> cd simchany/cesm1_2_2/scriptsAdd the following files to scripts/ccsm_utils/Machinesenv_mach_specific.cheyennemkbatch.cheyenne a)     env_mach_specific.cheyenne#! /bin/tcsh# -------------------------------------------------------------------------# Laramie build specific settings# -------------------------------------------------------------------------source  /etc/profile.d/modules.csh module purgemodule load intel/17.0.1module load ncarenv/1.0module load mklmodule load ncarcompilers/0.4.1module load mpt/2.19 if( $MPILIB == "mpi-serial" ) then  module load netcdf/4.6.1 else  module load netcdf-mpi/4.6.1  module load pnetcdf/1.11.0endif# -------------------------------------------------------------------------# Build and runtime environment variables - edit before the initial build# ------------------------------------------------------------------------- setenv OMP_STACKSIZE 256Msetenv NETCDF_PATH $NETCDFsetenv PNETCDF_PATH $PNETCDF  Then,>>  vi mkbatch.cheyenneYou can just copy from the below link, I haven’t modified anything from that.https://svn-ccsm-models.cgd.ucar.edu/Machines/release_tags/cesm1_2_x_n27_Machines_140528/mkbatch.cheyenne  Modify the /ccsm_utils/Machines/config_machines.xmlFollowing the guide inhttps://docs.google.com/document/d/1V5_oIA_ZPmLsMKp0rZlQ99CqQshx2pqcZsVQhT7lCb0/edit  4) To debug the resubmit errorAdd following line to runscriptcd $CASEROOT (line 76)>> vi cesm1_2_2/scripts/ccsm_utils/Tools/cesm_postrun_setup 5) Then chmod -R 700 ccsm_utils 6) modify the perl scripts>> vi cesm1_2_2/models/drv/bld/build-namelistline 784The perl code has several statements of the form “foreach $var qw(a b c)”, the version of perl on Cheyenne requires that these lines be changed to “foreach $var (qw(a b c))” 7) creat case & build & submit./create_newcase -case ~/cases/testcase -compset F_2000_CAM5 -res 1.9x2.5_gx1v6 -mach cheyenne cd ~/cases/testcase./cesm_setup./testcase.build./testcase.submit Hope this works...-Shim  

Hunter,I'm not sure whether my trick also works for cesm1_3beta10.If it is ok to use cesm1.2.2, would you like to follow the steps I've done yesterday?Below is my scratch notes/log for setting up the cesm1.2.2.  1) Download the source codes>> svn co https://svn-ccsm-models.cgd.ucar.edu/cesm1/release_tags/cesm1_2_1 cesm1_2_1 
2) modify the pio address>> vi cesm1_2_2/SVN_EXTERNAL_DIRECTORIESdelete the models/utils/pio line and then add belowmodels/utils/pio                   https://github.com/NCAR/ParallelIO.git/tags/pio1_8_12/pio >> svn propset svn:externals -F SVN_EXTERNAL_DIRECTORIES .>> svn update cd cesm1_2_2/models/utils>> mv pio pio.old>> svn co https://github.com/NCAR/ParallelIO.git/tags/pio1_8_14/pio cd cesm1_2_2/tools/cprnc/>> vi SVN_EXTERNAL_DIRECTORIESModify belowgenf90 https://github.com/PARALLELIO/genf90/tags/genf90_140121>> svn propset svn:externals -F SVN_EXTERNAL_DIRECTORIES . >> svn update  3)Porting Cheyenne machinehttps://bb.cgd.ucar.edu/machine-cheyenne-not-available-cesmhttps://docs.google.com/document/d/1V5_oIA_ZPmLsMKp0rZlQ99CqQshx2pqcZsVQhT7lCb0/edit#>> cd simchany/cesm1_2_2/scriptsAdd the following files to scripts/ccsm_utils/Machinesenv_mach_specific.cheyennemkbatch.cheyenne a)     env_mach_specific.cheyenne#! /bin/tcsh# -------------------------------------------------------------------------# Laramie build specific settings# -------------------------------------------------------------------------source  /etc/profile.d/modules.csh module purgemodule load intel/17.0.1module load ncarenv/1.0module load mklmodule load ncarcompilers/0.4.1module load mpt/2.19 if( $MPILIB == "mpi-serial" ) then  module load netcdf/4.6.1 else  module load netcdf-mpi/4.6.1  module load pnetcdf/1.11.0endif# -------------------------------------------------------------------------# Build and runtime environment variables - edit before the initial build# ------------------------------------------------------------------------- setenv OMP_STACKSIZE 256Msetenv NETCDF_PATH $NETCDFsetenv PNETCDF_PATH $PNETCDF  Then,>>  vi mkbatch.cheyenneYou can just copy from the below link, I haven’t modified anything from that.https://svn-ccsm-models.cgd.ucar.edu/Machines/release_tags/cesm1_2_x_n27_Machines_140528/mkbatch.cheyenne  Modify the /ccsm_utils/Machines/config_machines.xmlFollowing the guide inhttps://docs.google.com/document/d/1V5_oIA_ZPmLsMKp0rZlQ99CqQshx2pqcZsVQhT7lCb0/edit  4) To debug the resubmit errorAdd following line to runscriptcd $CASEROOT (line 76)>> vi cesm1_2_2/scripts/ccsm_utils/Tools/cesm_postrun_setup 5) Then chmod -R 700 ccsm_utils 6) modify the perl scripts>> vi cesm1_2_2/models/drv/bld/build-namelistline 784The perl code has several statements of the form “foreach $var qw(a b c)”, the version of perl on Cheyenne requires that these lines be changed to “foreach $var (qw(a b c))” 7) creat case & build & submit./create_newcase -case ~/cases/testcase -compset F_2000_CAM5 -res 1.9x2.5_gx1v6 -mach cheyenne cd ~/cases/testcase./cesm_setup./testcase.build./testcase.submit Hope this works...-Shim  

Thank you for such a detailed list of changes, Shim.I would rather not adapt this code to CESM1.2.2 so I tried everything you mentioned here using the cesm1_3_beta10 tag. Unfortunately, I got the same error message in the csm_share.bldlog. My guess is that this verison of the code doesn't work with the updated pio version 1_8_14 but may work with another older version given how far along the code makes it using the default pio.Do you have a sense of where to find more details regarding the different pio tags? Another option would be to adapt this version to CESM1.2.2.Best, 

Thank you for such a detailed list of changes, Shim.I would rather not adapt this code to CESM1.2.2 so I tried everything you mentioned here using the cesm1_3_beta10 tag. Unfortunately, I got the same error message in the csm_share.bldlog. My guess is that this verison of the code doesn't work with the updated pio version 1_8_14 but may work with another older version given how far along the code makes it using the default pio.Do you have a sense of where to find more details regarding the different pio tags? Another option would be to adapt this version to CESM1.2.2.Best,