Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

issue using irrigation in model run

stevenDH

Hi, I have been trying to set up a simulation for the present day period with irrigation enabled,
from the clm5 user guide (1.5.3. Running with irrigation — ctsm release-clm5.0 documentation) I got the following command:

./xmlchange CLM_BLDNML_OPTS="-irrig on" -append

However when I perform this command I get the following error message during the build phase

ERROR : CLM build-namelist::CLMBuildNamelist::setup_cmdl_irrigation() : The -irrig option can ONLY be used with clm4_0 physics

can anyone shed some light on what it is I am doing wrong here? I'm using CESM2.1.2. and for this simulation I'm using a B2000cmip6 compset.

Another question I have regarding this issue is the following: as I understand it well CESM can apply irrigation when using CLM5 both when having it predefined in the surdat, but also when it is predefined in the surdat right? Just in the latter case you need to make sure the crop module is enabled. I wonder however whether these uses are equivalent, as I understand it, when I want to use irrigation based on the historical usages I should prefer to enable the surdat dataset where irrigation is defined rather than choosing the surdat which does not have it explicitly defined but where the model generates irrigation itself within the crop module, is this right?

Thanks a lot for your input, this will help me a lot with understanding how I should set up my simulations!
Cheers
Steven

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Irrigation in CLM5 is controlled by the namelist item "irrigate" which can be set to .true. or .false., the error you get is correct in that -irrig is only for use with CLM4, the user's guide appears to be incorrect, or possibly the build namelist logic is incorrect.
I tried setting up your case in my cesm2.1.2, but B2000cmip6 doesn't appear to be an existing compset....

stevenDH

Hi Keith, thanks for the swift response, indeed B2000cmip6 is not a default compset, I created it myself based on the B1850cmip6 compset by simply changing the forcing year to 2000.

The build seems to function well using this namelist setting, thanks! I will follow up if I run into more issues, do you also have any insights in my second question about the surdat data? Or should I just try to do some simulations and see for myself what the difference is?

Thanks a lot for your help.
Cheers
Steven

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
In either configuration (crop model on or off), the surface dataset will tell the model where the irrigated and non-irrigated crop types are located and their spatial extent (fraction of the gridcell).
With the crop model on, there are irrigated and non-irrigated versions of the specific crop types. However, the namelist item irrigate can control whether the irrigated types are actually irrigated or not. If irrigation is turned off, the irrigated crop area is collapsed onto the non-irrigated crop area (added together).
The irrigation parameterization (when to irrigate and how much) is implemented in the code as described here:

2.26. Crops and Irrigation — ctsm release-clm5.0 documentation

Not sure this is any clearer than the user's guide, but hopefully will help. And hopefully, I don't have my model versions mixed up.

stevenDH

I've encountered one more problem, changing irrigation on using the namelist setting works perfectly fine, however I am trying to run the model using the fsurdat with irrigation defined, hence I put the following in my namelist file:

fsurdat='/scratch/leuven/101/vsc10147/cesm/inputdata/lnd/clm2/surfdata_map/releaseclm5.0.18/surfdata_0.9x1.25_hist_16pfts_Irrig_CMIP6_simyr2000_c190214.nc'

However when I run the model it encounters the following error which I got from the cesm.log file:

ERROR:
ERROR in /nec/vol1/site_scratch/leuven/101/vsc10147/cime/cesm-2.1.2/CESM/components/clm/src/main/ncdio_pio.F90.in at line 368
check_dim
ERROR: mismatch of input dimension 17 with expected value 79 for variable lsmpft

I am branching from the CMIP6 historical simulation which is using a different fsurdat with 78 pfts defined in contrast to the 16 pfts used for the irrigation surface dataset, is there any workaround for this? I would like to be able to branch from this simulation and apply irrigation within my simulation over the areas where it has historically occurred.

Thanks for the input!
Cheers
Steven

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Sorry, I'm still not clear on what you are trying to accomplish.
The 78 pft dataset is also an "irrigation" dataset. The irrigate namelist item will tell the model whether to irrigate or not.
If you have the crop model on, which seems to be indicated by the error you are getting, then you need to use the 78 pft dataset.
It would helpful if you could attach the "lnd_in" file, the "env_run.xml" file, and the command you used to create the case.

stevenDH

Okay I think I'm starting to see it now, what I thought was that the 78 pft dataset didn't have irrigation and the 16 pft dataset did, hence the irrig in the filename.
But how I see it now this reasoning was wrong then, I can just as well use the 78 pft dataset and have historical irrigation amounts in my simulation right?

I have one more question remaining regarding this, what is the difference then between the 78 pft dataset and the 16 pft dataset? Apart from the fact that they have a different amount of pfts?

Thanks a lot for your feedback, I don't think there is a further need to add these files if I can do the run with the 78 pft dataset
cheers
steven

tresamt

Tresa Mary
Hi,
I am trying to run a 'F2000climo compset with resolution f09_f09_mg17' with irrigation turned off ('irrigate=.false' in user_nl_clm) in CESM 2.2.0.

But I run into the following error while building: 'CLM build-namelist::CLMBuildNamelist::add_default() : No default value found for fsurdat.'

Does anyone know why this could be happening?

Thankyou
Tresa

slevis

The error means that the model does not find an fsurdat file (surface dataset) for this configuration. From what I can tell from attempting a similar I-case, the fsurdat for your F-case is
Code:
fsurdat = '/fs/cgd/csm/inputdata/lnd/clm2/surfdata_map/release-clm5.0.18/surfdata_0.9x1.25_hist_78pfts_CMIP6_simyr2000_c190214.nc'
(Ignore the /fs/cgd/csm part of the path, because that is specific to the machine that I am on.)
You should get around the error by specifying an fsurdat value in the user_nl_clm, preferably the value that I recommended, but with a path that applies to the machine that you're on.

If the problem is that you do not have the file on the machine that you're on, then please read this section of the documentation:

tresamt

Tresa Mary
Thankyou Slevis.
I think the issue is that my 'Buildconf/clm.input_data_list' is itself not forming.
I ran a 'F2000climo compset with resolution f09_f09_mg17' case with irrigation 'on' and there was no issue.

But here the only change i made is adding : 'irrigate=.false.' in user_nl_clm. I also wanted to confirm, is this the method for turning irrigation off. (in reference to #2).

slevis

Based on your last post, I recommend setting fsurdat = "the same fsurdat that worked for irrigation 'on'" in your user_nl_clm and then trying to build.

Yes, setting irrigate = .false. sounds correct.

tresamt

Tresa Mary
Hi Slevis,
Can I not run a RCP or SSP scenario with CESM2.2?
I am used to running CESM1.2.2, and compsets defined the run as present-day, RCP4.5 etc.

In CESM2.2, I do not find any compset specific to RCP or SSP.
Thankyou
Tresa

slevis

I don't know offhand. Here is a way to check:
In your cesm "sandbox":
.../my_cesm_sandbox/cime/scripts
type
./query_config --compsets | grep -i ssp
In mine, I see various B and I compsets listed.
When I type
git describe
I see that I am looking at
cesm2.1.3-rc.01

tresamt

Tresa Mary
I have CESM 2.2.0 and there is only I compset with ssp:

ISSP585Clm50BgcCrop : SSP585_DATM%GSWP3v1_CLM50%BGC-CROP_SICE_SOCN_MOSART_CISM2%NOEVOLVE_SWAV
ISSP126Clm50BgcCrop : SSP126_DATM%GSWP3v1_CLM50%BGC-CROP_SICE_SOCN_MOSART_CISM2%NOEVOLVE_SWAV
ISSP119Clm50BgcCrop : SSP119_DATM%GSWP3v1_CLM50%BGC-CROP_SICE_SOCN_MOSART_CISM2%NOEVOLVE_SWAV
ISSP245Clm50BgcCrop : SSP245_DATM%GSWP3v1_CLM50%BGC-CROP_SICE_SOCN_MOSART_CISM2%NOEVOLVE_SWAV
ISSP370Clm50BgcCrop : SSP370_DATM%GSWP3v1_CLM50%BGC-CROP_SICE_SOCN_MOSART_CISM2%NOEVOLVE_SWAV
ISSP434Clm50BgcCrop : SSP434_DATM%GSWP3v1_CLM50%BGC-CROP_SICE_SOCN_MOSART_CISM2%NOEVOLVE_SWAV
ISSP460Clm50BgcCrop : SSP460_DATM%GSWP3v1_CLM50%BGC-CROP_SICE_SOCN_MOSART_CISM2%NOEVOLVE_SWAV
ISSP534Clm50BgcCrop : SSP534_DATM%GSWP3v1_CLM50%BGC-CROP_SICE_SOCN_MOSART_CISM2%NOEVOLVE_SWAV

slevis

The list of ssp compsets from using the command that I mentioned above:
Code:
BWSSP126cmip6        : SSP126_CAM60%WCTS_CLM50%BGC-CROP-CMIP6WACCMDECK_CICE%CMIP6_POP2%ECO%NDEP_MOSART_CISM2%NOEVOLVE_WW3
BWSSP245cmip6        : SSP245_CAM60%WCTS_CLM50%BGC-CROP-CMIP6WACCMDECK_CICE%CMIP6_POP2%ECO%NDEP_MOSART_CISM2%NOEVOLVE_WW3
BWSSP370cmip6        : SSP370_CAM60%WCTS_CLM50%BGC-CROP-CMIP6WACCMDECK_CICE%CMIP6_POP2%ECO%NDEP_MOSART_CISM2%NOEVOLVE_WW3
BWSSP585cmip6        : SSP585_CAM60%WCTS_CLM50%BGC-CROP-CMIP6WACCMDECK_CICE%CMIP6_POP2%ECO%NDEP_MOSART_CISM2%NOEVOLVE_WW3
BWSSP534oscmip6      : SSP534_CAM60%WCTS_CLM50%BGC-CROP-CMIP6WACCMDECK_CICE%CMIP6_POP2%ECO%NDEP_MOSART_CISM2%NOEVOLVE_WW3
BWSSP126             : SSP126_CAM60%WCTS_CLM50%BGC-CROP_CICE_POP2%ECO%NDEP_MOSART_CISM2%NOEVOLVE_WW3
BWSSP245             : SSP245_CAM60%WCTS_CLM50%BGC-CROP_CICE_POP2%ECO%NDEP_MOSART_CISM2%NOEVOLVE_WW3
BWSSP370             : SSP370_CAM60%WCTS_CLM50%BGC-CROP_CICE_POP2%ECO%NDEP_MOSART_CISM2%NOEVOLVE_WW3
BWSSP585             : SSP585_CAM60%WCTS_CLM50%BGC-CROP_CICE_POP2%ECO%NDEP_MOSART_CISM2%NOEVOLVE_WW3
BWSSP534os           : SSP534_CAM60%WCTS_CLM50%BGC-CROP_CICE_POP2%ECO%NDEP_MOSART_CISM2%NOEVOLVE_WW3
BSSP585              : SSP585_CAM60_CLM50%BGC-CROP_CICE_POP2%ECO%ABIO-DIC_MOSART_CISM2%NOEVOLVE_WW3_BGC%BDRD
BSSP126              : SSP126_CAM60_CLM50%BGC-CROP_CICE_POP2%ECO%ABIO-DIC_MOSART_CISM2%NOEVOLVE_WW3_BGC%BDRD
BSSP245              : SSP245_CAM60_CLM50%BGC-CROP_CICE_POP2%ECO%ABIO-DIC_MOSART_CISM2%NOEVOLVE_WW3_BGC%BDRD
BSSP370              : SSP370_CAM60_CLM50%BGC-CROP_CICE_POP2%ECO%ABIO-DIC_MOSART_CISM2%NOEVOLVE_WW3_BGC%BDRD
BSSP585cmip6         : SSP585_CAM60_CLM50%BGC-CROP-CMIP6DECK_CICE%CMIP6_POP2%ECO%ABIO-DIC_MOSART_CISM2%NOEVOLVE_WW3_BGC%BDRD
BSSP126cmip6         : SSP126_CAM60_CLM50%BGC-CROP-CMIP6DECK_CICE%CMIP6_POP2%ECO%ABIO-DIC_MOSART_CISM2%NOEVOLVE_WW3_BGC%BDRD
BSSP245cmip6         : SSP245_CAM60_CLM50%BGC-CROP-CMIP6DECK_CICE%CMIP6_POP2%ECO%ABIO-DIC_MOSART_CISM2%NOEVOLVE_WW3_BGC%BDRD
BSSP370cmip6         : SSP370_CAM60_CLM50%BGC-CROP-CMIP6DECK_CICE%CMIP6_POP2%ECO%ABIO-DIC_MOSART_CISM2%NOEVOLVE_WW3_BGC%BDRD
ISSP585Clm50BgcCrop  : SSP585_DATM%GSWP3v1_CLM50%BGC-CROP_SICE_SOCN_MOSART_CISM2%NOEVOLVE_SWAV
ISSP126Clm50BgcCrop  : SSP126_DATM%GSWP3v1_CLM50%BGC-CROP_SICE_SOCN_MOSART_CISM2%NOEVOLVE_SWAV
ISSP119Clm50BgcCrop  : SSP119_DATM%GSWP3v1_CLM50%BGC-CROP_SICE_SOCN_MOSART_CISM2%NOEVOLVE_SWAV
ISSP245Clm50BgcCrop  : SSP245_DATM%GSWP3v1_CLM50%BGC-CROP_SICE_SOCN_MOSART_CISM2%NOEVOLVE_SWAV
ISSP370Clm50BgcCrop  : SSP370_DATM%GSWP3v1_CLM50%BGC-CROP_SICE_SOCN_MOSART_CISM2%NOEVOLVE_SWAV
ISSP434Clm50BgcCrop  : SSP434_DATM%GSWP3v1_CLM50%BGC-CROP_SICE_SOCN_MOSART_CISM2%NOEVOLVE_SWAV
ISSP460Clm50BgcCrop  : SSP460_DATM%GSWP3v1_CLM50%BGC-CROP_SICE_SOCN_MOSART_CISM2%NOEVOLVE_SWAV
ISSP534Clm50BgcCrop  : SSP534_DATM%GSWP3v1_CLM50%BGC-CROP_SICE_SOCN_MOSART_CISM2%NOEVOLVE_SWAV

Might you be able to use the "long form" similar to what appears in this list (e.g. SSP126_CAM60%WCTS_CLM50%BGC-CROP-CMIP6WACCMDECK_CICE%CMIP6_POP2%ECO%NDEP_MOSART_CISM2%NOEVOLVE_WW3) to create a case in cesm 2.2.0?