Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

It improves the albedo in both regions but the results are reversed

lby

lby
CESM was used to conduct two experiments: a: change the urban albedo in China to 0.63; b: change the urban albedo in the United States to 0.63. Compared with the original albedo of the two regions, the albedo of the test is increased. However, the laboratory results show that the region tested by a is cooling (FIG. a), while the region tested by b is heating up (FIG. b). 1685864674976.pngThis contradicts common sense that albedo goes up and temperature goes down. So I'm looking for help here. How to explain this phenomenon?Looking forward to your answer

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Without more details, I can only guess that you are seeing model internal variability swamp any signal you might get from increasing the urban albedo. Unless you've increased the urban fraction in those areas, changes in the properties of the small urban fractions that are present in the default model is not likely to have a large influence on the grid cell fluxes to the atmosphere.

lby

lby
Without more details, I can only guess that you are seeing model internal variability swamp any signal you might get from increasing the urban albedo. Unless you've increased the urban fraction in those areas, changes in the properties of the small urban fractions that are present in the default model is not likely to have a large influence on the grid cell fluxes to the atmosphere.
Thank you for your answer, oleson. I'll try an experiment to expand the urban share.

lby

lby
hi lby, could you share the paper you mentioned? I am also interested in changing albedo in CESM.
Hello, Yuan Sun. I am very sorry that this result is the content of my current test. There are still many problems in the result, and no paper has been published.