Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Jim McCaa is leaving the AMWG. PLEASE READ!

pjr

I am sad to say that wednesday, the 10th of November will be Jim McCaa's last day as liason for the atmospheric model working group. Jim has been an incredible resource to the CCSM project, to the AMWG,
to the climate modeling section, to NCAR, and has been a pleasure to work with.

This posting is a notification to you all of Jim's departure, and an opportunity to thank Jim publicly for the two years that he devoted to the project.

We at NCAR have known for a couple of weeks now, but I have been trying to avoid letting the reality sink in.

Jim singlehandedly pushed through hundreds of runs during the development of CAM3, for me and other modelers. He interacted tirelessly with the AMWG community outside NCAR, and always acted as their advocate to the insiders of CCSM. He helped in inumerable ways in the scientific development of CAM, helping with scientific issues, with software engineering issues, with interactions between scientists, administrators, admin assistants, computer support staff, members of other working groups, in helping to write and organize the CAM3 web page and technical documentation, and other things I am sure I have forgotten.

I know that I speak for the whole CCSM effort in saying that we will miss him terribly.

Of course we all wish him (and his family) the best in his new position. He will be working for a small Seattle research and engineering firm.

It goes without saying that his departure will have an effect on the whole project, and particularly on the AMWG.

Until he is replaced, we will be struggling in many ways to manage the tasks he performed. It is clear that we will not be able to provide the same level of support for the many tasks he performed without hiring someone with his skills and energy, and at the moment it is not clear how rapidly we will be able to replace him. Since all of us within the NCAR CAM infrastructure are already committed to the hilt, our ability to support the AMWG community will be severely comprimised and you (unfortunately) may become aware of that fact.

I ask all of you for your understanding during this difficult time and again want to thank Jim for his efforts on behalf of the AMWG

Regards,

Phil Rasch