Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Lagrangian DSE budget closure

khartig

Kara
I'm running air parcel trajectories (with HYSPLIT) based on CAM5 output (CESM 1.2.2, FV dynamical core, F_1850_CAM5 compset, f19_f19 resolution) and would ultimately like to generate a closed temperature/dry static energy/potential temperature budget along those trajectories to study the contribution of various processes to temperature change as they pass from the Arctic over continental North America. I had hoped that PTTEND or some subset of its terms (QRL+QRS or QRL+QRS+DTCOND, for example) would close a Lagrangian DSE budget, but so far still have pretty large residuals, on the order of 0.5 K/hr when comparing change in instantaneous DSE (calculated from 'T' and 'Z3', avgflag_pertape='I') to averaged PTTEND (avgflag_pertape='A'). What variables would I need to close the DSE budget in a Lagrangian frame, and are those available with the finite volume dynamical core? It seems like there may still be diffusion contributions in DTCORE that I can't account for independently of advective and adiabatic contributions.

brianpm

Hi Kara, I don't know the actual answer to your question. I can confirm that the temperature budget closes. I think that the total temperature tendency should equal DTCORE + PTTEND + TFIX, and can also be constructed by (TAP(n)-TAP(n-1))/(time(n)-time(n-1)). And on the physics side:
PTTEND = DTCOND + QRS + QRL + DTV + TTGWORO

Going to DSE in a Lagrangian frame, I guess there's a geopotential term that you'd need to deal with. Probably the harder part is to account for the mixing along the trajectory. I don't know whether HYSPLIT is able to capture the advection well enough to close the budget.

Maybe you can first assess the DSE budget in the Eulerian frame, which should be tractable, and then deal with transforming to the Lagrangian frame. Maybe the vertically integrated DSE would be easier to deal with, but that's just speculation.

QINKONG

QINQIN KONG
Hi Kara, I don't know the actual answer to your question. I can confirm that the temperature budget closes. I think that the total temperature tendency should equal DTCORE + PTTEND + TFIX, and can also be constructed by (TAP(n)-TAP(n-1))/(time(n)-time(n-1)). And on the physics side:
PTTEND = DTCOND + QRS + QRL + DTV + TTGWORO

Going to DSE in a Lagrangian frame, I guess there's a geopotential term that you'd need to deal with. Probably the harder part is to account for the mixing along the trajectory. I don't know whether HYSPLIT is able to capture the advection well enough to close the budget.

Maybe you can first assess the DSE budget in the Eulerian frame, which should be tractable, and then deal with transforming to the Lagrangian frame. Maybe the vertically integrated DSE would be easier to deal with, but that's just speculation.
Hi Brian,
Thanks for your answer. I have some followed up questions. Could you please help me?
1) why we add TTGWORO in the equation of PTTEND? Why it is not TTGW?
2) Does DTCORE include temperature tendency due to advection and adiabatic subsidence warming? If it does, do we have these subcomponents available as output of CAM?
3) what is TFIX (T equivalent of Energy correction)?

Thanks a lot!
-Qin