Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Landunit fractions in fsurdat

pesieber

Petra Sieber
Hi, I am working on a habitat-based PFT/ land cover map over Europe. We first map habitats for present and future conditions, and then translate them into CLM5 PFTs.

I understand that the sum of PCT_NATVEG, PCT_CROP, PCT_URBAN, PCT_GLACIER, PCT_LAKE, PCT_WETLAND needs to be 100%. Over the ocean (i.e. where landmask=0 and landfrac=0), usually PCT_WETLAND=100 and all other landunits =0. However, at the coast (i.e. where landmask=1 and landfrac=[>0,<1]), PCT_WETLAND=0 and all other landunits=[>0,<=100].

My interpretation is that PCT_WETLAND (which has been removed as a "wetland landunit" as of CLM4.5) just serves as a dummy landunit over pure ocean cells that do not run in CLM anyways. Land cells at the coast that do run have their land unit fractions specified for the land part only (e.g. a cell with 70% ocean and 30% land covered by trees would have landfrac=0.3 and PCT_NATVEG=100). Fluxes are calculated as if the full cell was forest (also reflected in the output) and are scaled by frac from the domain file at the coupler. Is it correct that all landunits are in relation to the land part only (except PCT_WETLAND over ocean acting as a dummy)?

Also, I understand that LANDFRAC_PFT appears in fsurdat for convenience and isnot used by CLM (instead, frac from the domain file is passed to the history files). They are allowed to differ theoretically and I think they do in practice (as noted in this thread). Anyway, how is LANDFRAC_PFT defined/calculated, and how can it be used? E.g. in my case for constructing a new land cover map, can/should I use it to separate land (natveg including wetland, crop, urban, glacier, lake) from ocean areas? Or should I rather use frac from the domain file for this?

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I'm working on getting a definitive answer, but I believe the answer to your first question is yes.
For the second question, this discussion may be of some help:

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
A more specific answer regarding your second question:

"The user seems to have a good handle on all these variables. The main thing to convey is to NOT use LANDFRAC_PFT if they wish to construct a new land cover map. The contents of the domain file should be the way to go, and when they upgrade to a nuopc version of the ctsm, then they can use the landmask found in ctsm history files (from runs that they complete with the unmodified land cover map).

LANDFRAC_PFT is calculated from the raw pft dataset and that's why it ends up different from the actual landmask that the model runs on. The landmask that the model runs on comes from the domain file in pre-nuopc versions and from the ocean mesh file in nuopc versions. CTSM fsurdat files are generated as landmask-agnostic files."

pesieber

Petra Sieber
Hi Keith, thanks for the clarification and links!

After reading the github discussions you linked, and also the latest one on how PCT_WETLAND is set, I am confused about 2 things (see below).

Compared to the gibhub discussion, I am not so much concerned about how the raw data should be specified and translated into landunit percentages, but rather about how to interpret the landunit percentages so I can mimic the logic when I create my own surface data. For instance, it seems the landunit percentages are percentages of the total grid cell area in pure ocean cells (hence PCT_WETLAND=100), but percentages of the land area in mixed land/ocean cells (hence PCT_WETLAND=0, the rest sums to 100). The latest discussion also suggests that wetland can be used to represent to ocean part in mixed land/ocean cells if the land/ocean mask does not fully resolve the coastline (hence frac=1).

1) It seems PCT_WETLAND is used as a dummy in ways (dummy because I suppose we never want the calculation of actual wetland fluxes)
(a) As a dummy in pure ocean cells such that the sum of all land units satisfies 100%. The cells won't actually run because mask=0 in the domain file.
(b) As ocean in mixed land/ocean cells where the ocean model grid does not fully resolve the coast line (frac=1). These cells will run (mask=1) and hence PCT_WETLAND would need to produce ocean fluxes. Does it do that, or what does it do?

2) LANDFRAC_PFT sounds like it could be the sum of pft fractions (i.e. summing natveg and crop pfts, like pctlnd_pft/100). However, when I plot it, it rather seems to be the sum of all land units (including urban, lake, glacier) except wetland (obviously, since wetland is used as ocean). Is it calculated from the raw pft dataset or all raw datasets used for calculating land units?

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
(1) It will produce wetland fluxes keeping in mind that wetland is simply modeled as a column of water.
(2) It should just be the sum of pft fractions from the raw pft dataset. @lawrencepj1 ?