Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Manning's N Values for RTM, CESM-LME

Kamm23

Kelsey
I have been using Land Use Harmonization^2 data (https://luh.umd.edu/) in order to create a visual of land use land change over the last thousand years. I have been looking at pasture, range, non-forested/forested land, c3/c4 crops, and urban (units are fraction of grid cell).

I was told that the CESM water routing model uses a simplified version of manning’s equation to calculate water flux - does anyone know of a dataset or technote that includes the manning's n values associated with CLM5 surface data or LUH2 data?

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I think the Manning n values are part of the MOSART frivinp_rtm file found in mosart_in:

frivinp_rtm = "/glade/p/cesmdata/cseg/inputdata/rof/mosart/MOSART_routing_Global_0.5x0.5_c170601.nc"

double nr(lat, lon) ;
nr:units = "unitless" ;
nr:long_name = "Manning\'s roughness coefficient for main channel flow" ;
nr:_FillValue = -9999. ;
nr:coordinates = "latixy longxy" ;
double nt(lat, lon) ;
nt:units = "unitless" ;
nt:long_name = "Manning\'s roughness coefficient for tributary channel flow" ;
nt:_FillValue = -9999. ;
nt:coordinates = "latixy longxy" ;
double nh(lat, lon) ;
nh:units = "unitless" ;
nh:long_name = "Manning\'s roughness coefficient for overland flow" ;
nh:_FillValue = -9999. ;
nh:coordinates = "latixy longxy" ;

MOSART is briefly described in the CLM5 technical note:

More information is probably available in the papers by Li et al. cited in the technical note.

Kamm23

Kelsey
Hello. I've read through the tech note, as well as the Li et al and Getirana et al papers. I see there is only mention of spatial distribution and there are no time dimensions for the Manning's n values in the file mentioned above. Are the n values assumed to be constant when running model simulations over long time periods?