Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Map for aice: join north and south hemispheres

Margarida

Marga
Dear CESM team,

I downloaded the monthly aice files and I saw they are divided into North and South hemispheres (e.g. b.e11.B20TRC5CNBDRD.f09_g16.001.cice.h.aice_nh.185001-200512.nc and b.e11.B20TRC5CNBDRD.f09_g16.001.cice.h.aice_sh.185001-200512.nc). I tried to join both but a decomposed map appeared:
ncpdq -a nj,ni,time north.nc n1.nc
ncpdq -a nj,ni,time south.nc s1.nc
ncrcat s1.nc n1.nc r1.nc

Please, would it be possible if you could send me the instructions to join these files in order to obtain a good-looking map?

Thank you very much.
Best regards,
Margarida Samsó

strandwg

Staff member
Rejoining the hemispheres won't change the appearance of a plot of aice, since there's a missing "strip" between the two hemispheres.

Also, both of those files contain the correct longitudes and latitudes for the hemisphere in question, as two-dimensional coordinate arrays "TLON" and "TLAT". You can use those fields to plot "aice".

What software are you using?

Thanks!

Margarida

Marga
Hi Gary,

Thank you very much for your kind answer. I'm working with NCO and CDO operators and I achieved to merge files with the next commands, although I'm missing the central part:
ncpdq -a nj,ni,time north.nc n1.nc
ncpdq -a nj,ni,time south.nc s1.nc
ncrcat s1.nc n1.nc r1.nc
ncpdq -a time,nj,ni r1.nc r1_out.nc

I attach a picture of the result r1_out.nc . Maybe adding the missing part with a mask would do... any help is welcome.

Thank you very much.

Best regards,

Marga

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2020-06-29 18-17-18.png
    Screenshot from 2020-06-29 18-17-18.png
    57 KB · Views: 4

strandwg

Staff member
I've created a file with all the grid information for the middle strip:

/glade/scratch/strandwg/cice_middle_strip.nc

Let me know if you can use it.